Pulsating Heart of a Veteran
by PamFord Davis

America's patriotic roots run deep. Visits to military bases both here and abroad are good ways to stay well grounded. If you have that opportunity, do not pass it by. Our son-in-law is retired career Air Force and I had ample time to tour several air bases. I was pleasantly surprised to hear patriotic songs sounding through the air. Every soldier is acquainted with reveille and taps.

Reveille is their wake-up call. It is time to rise and shine; taps is the lights out call. I should have implemented the reveille and taps routine when my daughter and son were school-aged children. They frequently ignored my repeated calls to wake up and get ready for school or to go to bed early. Reveille and taps would have gotten their attention.

I am a daughter of a deceased World War II Army veteran; the playing of taps at Dad's funeral evoked sadness and pride. I know he sacrificed several years away from his family in service to his country; he defended America and assisted in the giving of support to allies of our nation. Up until the time of his death, Dad had the pulsating heart of a Veteran of Foreign War.

There will come a day when the sun will not set at evening; mankind will no longer play or hear the sounding of taps. "And it will come about in that day that there will be no light; the luminaries will dwindle. For it will be a unique day which is known to the Lord, neither day nor night, but it will come about that at evening time there will be light (Zechariah 14:6-7 NAS)."

Day is dawning; the light of the world is Jesus. Our light overcomes spiritual darkness. Keep sounding the reveille in reverence to the conquering King; it is always time to rise and shine for Jesus. He has assigned work for his bride, the church "Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord has risen upon you, (Isaiah 60:1 NAS)."

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print