When Facing a Battle
by Taylor Hoisington

Deuteronomy 20:1, "When you go forth to battle against your enemies and see horses and chariots and an army greater than your own, do not be afraid of them, for the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, is with you."

How many of you have ever felt like you were in a battle? Maybe it wasn't a battle that you'd have in an army... but it was a battle none-the-less. Perhaps it was a physical battle for health. It could've been an emotional battle... or even a spiritual battle.

As I read through the Old Testament, I find verses so often that tell the Israelites to not be afraid or terrified because God is with them. In this verse imparticular, I see how God warned them to not be afraid when their enemies looked impossible to defeat.

God knew that it's easy for us to look at our enemies and see them as mountains, but God wants us to be so confident in Him that we see them as molehills.

He also brought up the fact that He was the God who brought them out of Egypt.

This one simple verse shows us so much about how we should look at the obstacles we will face in life.

We see how we will certainly face battles. This verse doesn't say, "If you go forth to battle against your enemies..." Rather, it says, "When you go forth to battle against your enemies..." We will face battles in life, but in those moments, we must remember that we are more than conquerors through Christ. (see Romans 8:37).

Next, we see how we will most likely see what we're up against as bigger than us! What we're up against probably will be bigger than us... but it isn't bigger than God. When we look at the size of our God instead of looking at the size of our enemy, we will find the strength to keep our heads held high even in the midst of seemingly huge giants!

Finally, what I notice about this verse is that we are to remember all that God has already brought us through. In the middle of a battle, it's easy to forget all the battles that God has already fought for us and brought us through victoriously. Sometimes, we feel like we'll never see the victory come. But if we can just look back for a moment at where we were at before and remember where God got us to, we can find the assurance that the God Who was with us then is with us now. He will not give up on us this time. When you can't see past your battle, remember God's track record of faithfulness.

Maybe you're in a battle, or maybe right now you find yourself walking with God by quiet waters. No matter where you find yourself today, just remember that no matter what you face... no matter the giants that you are up against... God is with you, and He will bring victory in your life one way or another. It may not be the way you'd have planned, but His way is always better!

Dear Heavenly Father,

As I look at my life today, I don't really find myself in a battle. Today, I find myself living in the victory You've given me... But there have been days where I felt like that battle was going to rage on forever. I praise You that I don't ever have to fear my enemies because You are with me and are fighting for me. Help me in times of being overwhelmed with my giants to remember your track record of faithfulness. Let me not see how big my battles are but rather see how big my God is. In Jesus' Name.

Amen.

Taylor desires to use the gift God has given her to write to reach people for Christ. More of her writings can be found on her facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gods-Girl-Devotionals/1438687046349953?ref=hl or in her book God's Girl Devotionals, My Journey Through Life with God by my Side

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print