Eating Disorders - Do You Have One?
by Laurie Glass

Do you have an unhealthy relationship with food? Do you obsess about what you eat and how much you weigh? Have you experienced abuse, trauma, grief, trials, or disappointments that you're having difficulty healing from and leaving behind you? Is it hard for you to find healthy ways to express yourself? Do you expect perfection from yourself?

While only a professional can diagnose an eating disorder, you may know that something isn't right. Perhaps you're afraid to eat, you can't stop eating, or you purge. Maybe you subconsciously avoid overwhelming painful emotions by focusing on food and body image issues. You may feel unworthy of the love and acceptance of God and others. It's possible you feel your life is out of control so you strive to control your food intake.

If you can relate to any of the concerns mentioned above, it's probably time to speak with a medical professional and identify what is going on and learn what you can do about it. There are various treatment options available.

You may not have a full-blown eating disorder, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't get the professional help and support available to you in order to prevent things from escalating to that point. If you are diagnosed with an eating disorder, you can take those first steps of recovery and get the professional help you need. Eating disorders are complicated and sometimes deadly. No one can be expected to battle them alone. It's okay to get help and receive support.

Please, if you suspect you may have an eating disorder or the precursors to an eating disorder, reach out for available professional help and support. Your life may depend on it.

Laurie Glass has a Master of Ministry degree in Christian Counseling and is the author of Journey to Freedom from Eating Disorders.  She is a recovered anorexic who offers online Christian counseling services to adult women with eating disorders. See her website at http://freedomfromed.com/.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print