Etched Images
by PamFord Davis

Where do we read of the Wise Men designation of three? Did an elaborate treasure chest conceal gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh? Much of what we consider factual is only assumption.

I assume, forefathers thought there were "three" worshipers following the star of Bethlehem because of the three gifts presented to the newborn King. We have seen so many dramatizations of the Christmas story that time has etched images of a jeweled treasure chest on our memories.

Meditation and memorization of scripture separates truth from tradition....

"After Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of King Herod, wise men from the east arrived unexpectedly in Jerusalem, saying, 'Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we saw His star in the east and have come to worship Him (Matthew 2:1-2 HCS)."

Worshipers were humble and gave sacrificially. "Entering the house, they saw the child with Mary His mother, and falling to their knees, they worshiped Him. Then they opened their treasures and presented Him with gifts: gold, frankincense, and myrrh (Matthew 2:11 HCS)."

The treasures could just as easily been retrieved from camel saddlebags as a treasure chest. It matters little if there were three wise men or an entourage of thirty. The wise men's meaningful worship compels me daily to give my heart to Jesus, which He treasures most.

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print