More of God
by

"Mary, I want you to imagine that the Lord Himself would come and sit beside you at the end of this meeting and say to you, 'Mary, if you can tell me right now what you perceive to be the greatest need of your life, I will meet that need.' I wonder what you would say. I wonder what I would say. What would you say?"(1)

As I listened to those words from Sheila Walsh, I immediately said aloud, "More of You, God. To know more of You and to know more of Jesus."

Instantly, I heard, "So, what are you doing about it?"

I was taken aback, caught up short. That was not Sheila. "God, was that You?"

In my human tendency to be defensive, I thought about the Bible college courses I'm takingwell, OK, so I've gotten sidetracked, but now that my radiation treatments are over, I'll get back to a regular schedule. I thought about my almost daily Bible reading while I walk on my treadmill. Then, I thought about the infrequent times of personal Bible study. Not just reading, but studying. Then there's my prayer life. That could certainly use some improvement.

In Sheila's scenario, Jesus says He will meet Mary's need. There's no mention of her doing anything. That's what I was thinking when I said, "More of You" I wasn't prepared for a challenge to me to do something to meet my own need. But, in reality, God has already provided what I need. He revealed Himself through His Son and through His Word, the Bible. I read the Bible regularly, but do I "meditate upon it day and night" as the Psalmist said? I have to admit that I don't.

What did Peter say? "His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness." How did Peter say this is done? "Through the knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and virtue"(1 Pe 1:3, WEB). How will I get that knowledge? Do you suppose I will find it in the Book God wrote? I know that's true.

If I truly want to know more of Jesus and His Father, then I must spend time reading and studying God's Word and talking with Him daily. How do I get to know a human being well? By spending time with the person. It's no different with God. If I am going to know Him well, intimately, deeply, I must spend time with Him. God has revealed Himself. Now, it's up to me to study and meditate upon that revelation.

Help me, O God, to meditate upon Your word night and day, as the psalmist wrote. As my mind wanders off to think about the things of this world, bring my focus back to You, to the heavenly things, to the things that matter. I know You are right here with me, Father. Help me to feel Your presence and to draw near to You. Help me to know You more deeply. In Jesus' holy name, I pray. Amen.


(1) Sheila Walsh. "Boundless Love 2001" Conference CD. Women of Faith.

Copyright 2007, Star Ferdinand.

Star Ferdinand is the author of The Prayerful Bible Study Series of study guides, numerous devotionals, and other Christian writings. You can read more of her writings at starferdinand.wordpress.com.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print