Night Owls and Night Watchmen
by PamFord Davis

Are you a night owl? When I was in my teens, staying up all night was a neat experience. I listened to the radio, talked to girlfriends on the phone and most importantly, talked to my future husband. He was spinning platters as an all night disc jockey at my favorite radio station. Night watchmen have a different incentive than I had for being awake until dawn; it was required.

Long ago, a group of Bethlehem shepherds was watching over their flocks at night. Even now, I consider them highly respected night watchmen who heralded a message. They could have merely listened to the angels' special delivery message and kept it to themselves. Instead, they verified it personally and became the first to share the story of Jesus' birth.

"When the angels went away from them back into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, 'Let's go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us.' So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph and saw the baby lying in the manger (Luke 2:15-16 TEV)." They were compelled to carry the gospel.

"When the shepherds saw him, they told them what the angel had said about the child. All who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said (Luke 2: 17-18 TEV)." Imagine the shepherds' emotional faith response. Shepherds who were serving faithfully as night watchmen became God's spokesmen!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print