Even When We Don't Know When
by Taylor Hoisington

Matthew 24:36, "However, no one knows the day or hour when these things will happen, not even the angels in heaven or the Son himself. Only the Father knows."

At the end of Matthew 24, we read about when the Son of man will return. We know He is coming back, but we also know that we don't know when. We are supposed to live ready for when He does come back.

Tonight God gave me an interesting thing to think about in my own life based off of this simple verse.

Verse 36 says that not even the Son himself knows when He is going to return. Only the Father knows that. Regardless of that, though, He knows He is coming back. It's not a matter of "if"... it's a matter of "when".

I've found in my life that I always want to know when things are going to happen. "When" am I going to meet my husband? "When" will I get to start my own family? "When" will the things I'm believing God for come to pass?

There is a major problem with wondering "when" all the time. Instead of me resting in the fact that the Father knows, I keep asking "when".

As I think about the promise God made to me about my future, I realize that it's not a question of "if"; rather, it is a question of "when". I haven't (up to this point) lived in faith that God really will do what He said He will do because I've been too wrapped up in this "when" question. Sure, I believe that someday He will do what He promised, but I don't live as if I believe it. I don't live prepared when it comes to being ready for the day I see His promise to me come to pass about being with my husband.

Jesus doesn't even know when He will be coming back, but that doesn't change the fact that He knows He is. I'm sure He doesn't worry about "when" because all He needs to know is that His Father knows.

What would happen if I stopped asking "when" and I started truly being still and knowing that God is God?

In the middle of this last year when I dealt with the biggest struggle I've ever faced, all God laid on my heart to do was to be still and know that He is God. In all honesty, I haven't been still even once in that period of time. I've ran myself ragged and done everything I could think to do in an attempt to avoid any moments of time to think. By me running, I found it really was just showing how I didn't really trust God. In those moments I was trying to avoid, I needed to be still and realize that God is God.

Do we really know God?

I spend so much time telling God about my problems that I very rarely stop to get to know Him. When I think about it, that seems so silly, because He is I AM.

I AM - the Alpha and Omega.
I AM - the Beginning and the End.
I AM - the First and the Last.
I AM - your Comforter.
I AM - your Shelter.
I AM - your Healer.
I AM - your Refuge.
I AM - your Savior.
I AM - your All in All.

In the moment that I am still and know that God is God, I don't have to worry about "when" anymore. Even when I don't know when, I know my Father. I know His character. I know that I can be still in His presence, and He will take care of me.

Dear Heavenly Father,

You've been showing me that if I stop dwelling on the "when" question and I begin focusing on You, I find rest. Lord, I see how not even the Son knows when He will return. Only the Father knows, yet because the Son knows the Father, it's okay for Him not to know. Help me know You more. I desire to know You. Bring me peace as I rest in You. In Jesus' Name.

Amen.

Taylor desires to use the gift God has given her to write to reach people for Christ. More of her writings can be found on her facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gods-Girl-Devotionals/1438687046349953?ref=hl or in her book God's Girl Devotionals, My Journey Through Life with God by my Side

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print