The Glass Heart
by Caitlynn Lowe

Once upon a time, a princess named Penny was born. Even though the king and queen were happy with their new daughter, there was a problem: Princess Penny had been cursed with a glass heart. Because of this, she was very fragile.

When the princess was still very young, she was locked away in the highest tower, and only the king and queen were permitted to visit her. This was done so that she couldn't get hurt by any other people. Yet, even though it was done for her protection, it made her very lonely.

Years passed by, and Princess Penny became a beautiful, kind young lady. But she was always very lonely, and would often stare out of her window to look upon the kingdom below. Her parents would scold her when they saw her leaning out the window, and forbid her to do so. Yet whenever they would leave, the young princess would continue to look out anyway. She dreamed of someday joining everyone below. Yet the more time she passed locked away in the tower, the more she began to doubt her dreams would ever come true.

One day, as the princess looked out her window, she accidentally dropped her handkerchief. "Oh dear!" she cried as she watched it float to the ground below. "Now how will I ever get it back? I can't tell Mother and Father, or else they'll scold me for disobeying them."

Just then, someone approached the bottom of the tower. At first the princess ducked away from the window, but her curiosity got the better of her and she peeked out to study the figure below. It was a young man, not much older than she. He seemed to be very busy, and Princess Penny was sure that he would walk right past the tower like most did.

Before he was about to walk past, he pausedhe had seen her handkerchief on the ground. He picked it up and began looking it over, noticing that it was covered in tear stains. "I wonder whose this is," he said, looking up just in time to see the princess hurry away from the window.

This young man was both wise and kind. He realized that the handkerchief must belong to Princess Penny, and that she must have been very lonely. He wished for her to be happy, though, and decided to help her.

"Princess," he said to her window, "my name is Jacob. I know you are lonely, but don't cry anymore. I promise I will find a way to help you." At that, he walked off to meet with the king and queen to see what he could do. It would be dangerous to question their judgment, but he had to try.

When the princess heard his vow, she began to hope again. Hours passed, when suddenly, she heard something outside. She ran to the window to see what was happening. Princess Penny gasped at what she saw. Jacob was being thrown out of the castle and driven away! He was trying to fight his way back towards her, but he was losing. The princess became desperate, and in her panic, she slipped out the window and began to fall!

Jacob and the palace guards saw her fall, but only Jacob reacted fast enough. He ran to the bottom of the tower just in time to catch her. But it was too late...the fall was enough to shatter the glass heart inside of her. The princess lay in his arms, her eyes closed, and her skin pale. With tears in his own eyes, Jacob did the only thing he could think to do: he leaned over and kissed the dying princess.

By now, the king and queen had rushed out. They began to cry as they saw their precious only daughter lying lifeless in Jacob's arms. But then, a wonderful, miraculous thing happened...Princess Penny began to breathe, and opened her eyes! Jacob's pure and devoted kiss had made her blood flow again, turning the broken shards of her glass heart into a real, normal, beating heart!

Her parents smiled and ran over to hug their daughter. They were so grateful to Jacob for freeing their daughter and breaking her curse that they offered him her hand in marriage. He gladly accepted, and the two were wed a week later. And they would live happily ever after.

--------
Caitlynn Lowe is a young student who is currently developing her passion for writing. She loves to tell stories, and her favorite genre is fantasy.

Copyright Caitlynn Lowe 2007

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print