Mirror, Mirror
by Abby Kelly

I stared at the stringy-haired teenager in the mirror. Why can't I have curly hair like my sisters? Why does it look like I inverted a mop over my head? Why do I still have bangs when everyone else grew theirs out last year? Frustrated, I picked up the curling iron and went back to work. Hopefully, with enough work, I could make myself look pretty.

***

I smiled at my reflection. My blond ponytail was glossy and long. I liked the way my favorite turquoise t-shirt made my eyes look especially blue. I'm kinda cute, I thought to myself.

***

From two chairs behind, I glared at my friend's back during the lesson at youth group. How come Mikey liked her and not me? She whispered something in his ear and he put his arm around the back of her chair. I knew they'd gone to the movies last weekend. Am I not pretty enough, I wondered? Not smart enough? Not popular enough? What's wrong with me?

***

As I placed my Bible back on the night stand, I hummed my favorite song from the Christian radio station. God must be proud of me, I thought. Every single morning, when most of my friends are sleeping in, I get up and have a devotional time with God. I give part of my allowance every week in church and I've even started to work on memorizing Bible verses. I'm probably a better Christian than a lot of people my age.

***

Isn't it funny how we see ourselves? I've felt all those ways at some point in my life: One day I am really disappointed in who I am and what I look like; the next day I think I'm pretty hot stuff. Why we are so moody?

One of my favorite pastors says that faith doesn't have a mirror.

What does that mean?

It means that as we grow closer to God and come to know Jesus better, we lose sight of ourselves. Our self-worth isn't found in working really hard to make ourselves look better, act better or be better people. We will wear ourselves out trying to improve ourselves.

In order for us to become godly people, to become all that God wants us to be, in order to find real joy in being the person God created us to be, we must spend more time looking at Jesus than we do at ourselves.

"But we all, with uncovered face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image, from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord." 2 Corinthians 3:18 (The Message Bible)

Learn more about me on my website: http://predatory-lies.com/about-me/

Please find my book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Surviving-Predatory-Lies-Anorexia-Kelly-ebook/dp/B00HFGMBJA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389645006&sr=8-1&keywords=predatory+lies

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print