Escape the Fire
by Richard L. Provencher

Run. Run. Smoke spiraling, from over the ridge, not really a high one since the scene is easily visible; terror setting in a fire in the woods! Reality -- Fire Season. Here and now, run.

Charlie and Vanessa joined their parents watching from afar. Surely it posed no danger to the foursome out for a weekend of tenting. It seemed so far away. Unknown to them fire had spread into the surrounding ravines just low enough to be unseen.

Earlier this morning another family was celebrating a wedding anniversary. Camping was their treat, inexpensive and just right for two adults and their grandson. A promised treat for the little fellow just turned ten. While they were sleeping the boy piled on more wood atop a small campfire; too much in fact.

The day was warming, hot became hotter and the little out of control fire now became a full fledged forest fire. Grandparents and grandson escaped to safety and their closed down adventure reported.

By now Charlie and his sister were smelling smoke, quickly turning into a suffocating power. And both parents were scrambling to escape the serious discomfort. Should they head for the river about a mile in front of them, or drive through the pungent smoke now seemingly cutting off their roadway? Decisions had to be made -- quickly. Think then get going.

A circle of fire danced and leaped forward.

Charlie and Vanessa fell to their knees and joined their parents in prayer.

Richard enjoys writing poems; many of which have been published in Print and Online. He and his wife, Esther are also co-authors of stories and a print novel. They are "born again" Christians and very busy in their church, Abundant Life Victory International, in Bible Hill, Nova Scotia.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print