It's Not Like the Picture
by Florence Simmons

It's Not Like the Picture

Waiting at the fast food counter, my husband David and I were viewing the available choices. The pictures of some food items showed breads stuffed with meat content that would entice anyone. Wow, they looked so good we could hardly decide which one to buy.

After we each purchased one of those pictured items, we were seated and eager to devour our luscious sandwiches. David opened his six-inch sandwich and pulled off an inch or so of bread from the end. I wondered what he was doing when he said, "No meat is in the end at all. It's not like the picture. It showed this sandwich stuffed with meat hanging outside the bun." It sure was a disappointment.

Deceptive advertisements are a false come on to persuade you to buy certain products. We have certainly seen countless television advertisements that pull us to respond showing excellent steaks, pastas, and other foods prepared to our liking. A few products may have lived up to their commercials, but skepticism should be high for many others, as our sandwich experience confirmed.

Here is another example. The scenes on television show liquor, ales, and beers as a wonderful and acceptable necessity. People are shown in a cozy atmosphere chatting and laughing and having a great time. Vulnerable individuals are enticed to think this is the way we should live. The assumed notion is left that everyone drinksaren't we having a great time? All want to be in the accepted, hip crowd.

The advertisers know the psychology of appealing to our searching appetites. The advertisement entices you to try the drinks. The scene says, try it, c'mon try it. A deceptive and false view is played over and over again. We become fooled by dishonest promotions. This time it's not food, but products that may eventually destroy families and lives if you yield to them.

Misleading scenes for these drinks certainly don't show pictures of people drunk, acting nasty and obnoxious, and not even able to drive home. They don't show how drinkers beat their loved ones once they arrive home without even knowing what they are doing.

The next morning their head throbs, they are grouchy and miserable and everyone in the household knows it. These consequences aren't what advertisements show the viewers. The sale of alcohol is a profit-making venture inspired by commercials. It's all about their wealth, not about you.

Folks, commercials are pictures that may or may not be true. Recognize deceptiveness and don't be gullible, but be wise.

Florence Simmons writes to encourage people to invite more of Christ into the moments of their day. Check out her website www.common-sensewisdom.com or her MOBI www.commensensewisdom.MOBI, email her at [email protected]

Florence Simmons is a pastor's wife, a freelance writer and an author. Her writings train us how to apply God's Word to our lives. Follow her, www.common-sensewisdom.com, [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print