We Are Family
by

I therefore, the prisoner in the Lord, beg you to walk worthily of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and humility, with patience, bearing with one another in love; being eager to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body, and one Spirit, even as you also were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all, and through all, and in us all. -Ephesians4:1-6 (Web)

Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread. -1 Cor. 10:17 (ESV)


It was a beautiful Saturday afternoon. Each row of people got up in turn and moved to the communion stations set up around the sanctuary. Many people were with their biological families.

My thoughts drifted back to the last time my mother came to visit on a weekend. It was the first time we were in church together in four years. Taking communion with her was a special experience for me. Some families have that opportunity often. For many of us, though, that opportunity comes only once every few months or years. For others, there will never be such an occasion.

However, every time we partake of the Lord's Supper, we do so with our spiritual family. At that special moment when that bread touches our tongue and we taste the fruit of the vine, we are united in an incomprehensible way with our Savior and with every Christian brother and sister around the world. No longer are we alone or isolated from our families. For we have another family--the spiritual family that God put us into--His church.

Thank you, God, for adopting us into your family. Mold us, O Lord, into the people you want us to be. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen.

Thought for the Day
Though we are many, we are one body.

Prayer Focus
Unity of the body of Christ


Copyright 2006, Star Ferdinand.

Star Ferdinand is the author of The Prayerful Bible Study Series of study guides, numerous devotionals, and other Christian writings. You can read more of her writings at starferdinand.wordpress.com.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print