Faith Moves Forward
by Susan Ferguson

Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:13-14 NIV)


Sometimes I am haunted by my past blunders, the times my feet slipped, and the times I missed the mark.  As I talk to other Christians, I find that some share the same grief.  The apostle Paul encourages us to leave the past behind and to press forward to what lies ahead.    


The apostle Paul, a former persecutor of the first-century church, spoke from experience when he told the Philippians to forget the past and to keep their focus forward.  He expressed regret for persecuting the church, (1 Corinthians 15:9) but rather than be stifled by it, he accepted God’s forgiveness and pressed on to reach his potential in Christ. Paul took the message of salvation to both Jews and Gentiles, authored 13 epistles in the New Testament, and was a preacher, teacher, and church founder, who helped to shape the history of Christianity.


Some have asked, “How is it possible to forget the past when I’m reaping the consequences of my sins?”  Paul’s exhortation does not imply that memories of the past will be forgotten.  Paul never forgot his former life and even called himself the chief of sinners (1Timothy 1:15). Nevertheless, he placed his trust in Christ and pressed on toward his goal. 


Philippians 3:14 tells us to press on toward the goal of knowing Jesus and becoming more and more like Him.  Through faith in Christ, we can move ahead and not be held back by wrong choices, sins, or failures.  Faith moves forward and can pave the way for blessings and new beginnings.   The sins and blunders of the past do not have the final word – grace and forgiveness do.


Father, thank You for new beginnings in Christ and for the forgiveness we have in Him.  In Jesus' name. Amen




Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print