Humanity and the Second Adam
by Bobby Bruno

We were built to be worshippers of God. We were built to serve the living Lord. We were built to allow Him to do whatever He wants to do with us in this life. When God created us, He created us to live in a way that glorifies Him in everything we do. But then sin entered the world through the indiscretion of two people who freely handed the world over to the serpent. Adam and Eve were built to fill the earth and subdue it, but when they disobeyed God and were thrown out of the Garden, the purpose for which they were built was destroyed. They decided to throw their purposes into the fire to be distorted by a being who hated the wagon-maker.

All around us today we see the wood of people's lives being thrown, intentionally or unintentionally, into the fire of drugs, alcohol, depression, abuse, divorce, suicide, crime, and on and on and on... We humans were not built of just flesh and bones, we were built in the image of our creator God, and His Son, and His Holy Spirit. Thankfully, God knew that this would happen even before He created any of us, and decided to send Jesus to us so that we could see who built us and to find out how we are to function. Through Jesus Christ we learn our purpose and can feel like a wagon once again, for we have been taken out of the fire and have been rebuilt by the salvation of our Lord and Savior. No longer does the fire scare us because we know that the true fire comes from God through His Holy Spirit. As fully repaired wagons we can now begin to haul the load of our salvation out into the world for others to see and experience. Praise the Lord that he has an abundance of nails to fix us when we break!

Comment: "How many people are committing suicide because they believe they are not worthy or useless?!"

Author's Response: In 1998, I was one of those who felt that I couldn't live anymore after rediscovering that I had been sexually abused as a child by repressing the memories. That year, I tried to kill myself five times, but each time (I didn't know then) Jesus kept frustrating my plans and efforts to do myself in. Yes, I was frustrated about it and about a lot of other things as well. But Jesus had His plan for my life which included that this wagon not be used for firewood, but to be used for the fire of the Holy Spirit. Now my worth is not in myself, but is in Jesus alone. He alone is worthy, but I'm glad that He wants us along for the ride.

Comment: "This is why God had to create the second Adam" I've never looked at Jesus as being a second Adam. I've always looked at Him as being original in every way. The son whom pleased God was Jesus. Jesus and God are the same. Jesus wasn't another Adam. 'Course, Jesus' ministry as the High Priest, claimed that He was sent not to condemn the world, but to save the lost. It's amazing how you derived Jesus as being another Adam."

Author's Response: Please check out this verse from two different translations about Jesus being the second Adam.

1 Corinthians 15:45 (GW)
45 This is what Scripture says: "The first man, Adam, became a living being." The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.

1 Corinthians 15:45 (KJV)
45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

Many other translations say the same thing.

Also the Barne's Notes on the New Testament Commentary, and many others, says "The last Adam. The second Adam, or the "second man," 1 Corinthians 15:47. That Christ is here intended is apparent, and has been usually admitted by commentators. Christ here seems to be called Adam because he stands in contradistinction from the first Adam; or because, as we derive our animal and dying nature from the one, so we derive our immortal and undying bodies from the other. From the one we derive an animal or vital existence; from the other we derive our immortal existence, and resurrection from the grave. The one stands at the head of all those who have an existence represented by the words, "a living soul;" the other of all those who shall have a spiritual body in heaven. He is called "the last Adam;" meaning that there shall be no other after him who shall affect the destiny of man in the same way, or who shall stand at the head of the race in a manner similar to what had been done by him and the first father of the human family. They sustain peculiar relations to the race; and in this respect they were "the first" and "the last" in the peculiar economy. The name "Adam" is not elsewhere given to the Messiah, though a comparison is several times instituted between him and Adam. See Romans 5:12-19." I hope this helps your belief. God Bless You!

References

Barnes, A. (1962). Barnes notes on the new testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel Classics

Bobby Bruno was saved 15 years ago in a way that left him no doubt that Jesus wanted him to reach others with His great and abounding love.  He started writing at the age of 12 and hasn't stopped since. He achieved Associates Degree in Biblical Studies from Ohio Christian University in early 2014.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print