"Why Suicide?"
by Shakera Reid-Stewart

As I spoke with a family member recently, she pointed out the large number of suicides that have been emphasized recently in the news. We thought about the victims and how their lives looked on the surface and to the public eye. When a person has a family and friends and as an added bonus, they happen to be wealthy, most people think that they've got it made. So many puzzling thoughts must run through the minds of almost everyone who hears about their suicide. "Why in the world would she take her life?" or "What possible reason would he have to be depressed?"

The conversation progressed and when it came down to it, we speculated that there were two major reasons that lead these individuals to this unfortunate demise:

1) Materialistic obsession
2) A lack of spiritual foundation

People tend to get so caught up in status, wealth and the maintenance of this lifestyle that they can't see the forest for the trees. They acquire as many valuable items for no other reason than to showcase for society. Throughout the duration of their good fortune, these people have an abundance of love interests, "best friends" as well as the "respectability" and privileges that come with the territory. They are not only focused on keeping up with the Joneses, but most importantly, they have to outdo them.

So, what happens when these very same people who were on cloud nine and living in the lap of luxury hit rock bottom and can no longer finance their lavish lifestyle? When you have a superficial lifestyle and superficial people surround you, scraping the bottom of the pan seems like a devastating alternative. Death seems to be the more attractive option. The valuables acquired can't provide comfort and the so-called friends and loved ones no longer deem you worthy of their presence. Sometimes it's just your frame of mind that allows you to believe that you are no longer valid in the eyes of the people around you. In the same way that it can be lonely at the top, most people know from experience that it can be really lonely at the bottom.

Isn't it refreshing to know that earthly things don't have to define us as Christians? The heavenly assurance that we have gives us a plan "B" or an option 2. Choosing a life of faith, (where God is in control), puts us at peace even in times of turmoil and distress. At the end of the day, we can fall back on our faith and His grace.

Choose the Lord and choose life! He never fails us.

"You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance." Psalm 32:7

All rights reserved
Shakera Reid was born in Kingston, Jamaica and raised in Miramar, Florida. Her passion in life is counseling and educating youth. Hobbies include reading, writing and watching movies. Her hope is to encourage others through her writing and to help them in their Christian walk.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print