Peace, Be still!
by Anne Linington

A recent noon prayer time, brought to mind an event years before, when Jesus spoke to my fears, as he did to the wind and waves two thousand years ago. There had been a violent thunderstorm the night before, and a member of the group, shared how his mother's fear of storms had given rise to the same fear in him.

We began to look at passages of scripture, including God speaking to Elijah, not in the wind and storm, but in the still small voice. Our thoughts also turned to the account when Jesus first sent his disciples onto the Sea of Galilee, and then joining them in the boat, spoke to the winds and waves to be still.

Years earlier that same passage had been the topic of an afternoon Bible Study I had attended. A few days later, having gone to bed, I found myself gripped by fear, and in order to alleviate it, repeated the name of Jesus in prayer.

A verse from Isaiah came to mind which spoke of some of Christ's titles; "Wonderful Counsellor", Mighty God", "Everlasting Father" and "Prince of Peace". As I prayed to the one who is Prince of Peace, I heard his voice whether it was audible to anyone else I wouldn't know- but I heard him SHOUT, "PEACE BE STILL"! .It was said with such authority, that I realised when he stilled the literal storm, he would have shouted, not whispered a gentle, "Peace be still".

In that moment, Jesus had addressed my fears and they had been quieted. Despite times of anxiety, that paralysing fear has never returned to this day, and it was lovely to be reminded of how completely Jesus can heal at a deep emotional level. Praise him!

I live in the UK, and attend an evangelical Church of England, where I am training as a Reader, (lay preacher). I support the work of a Christian Healing Centre, and enjoy writing, particularly poetry.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print