Coaching the Team
by PamFord Davis

I have never, I repeat 'never' been a sports fan. I am not athletically inclined. Yet, I know that in team sports you need not only participants; you need qualified coaches. My husband has done the play-by-play announcing for football, basketball and baseball. Sitting behind the control board in a television station, I've watched ball games and I have come to a conclusion.

Many coaches expect their players to do, as they 'say,' not as they as their coaches 'do.' Many are overweight, revealing no evidence of self-discipline. Yet, they demand a rigorous exercise program and a strict diet for those they coach. Excuse me; is that fair? It's hard to look up to that kind of coach as leader and role model. Jesus had a lot to say about bad leadership.

"Jesus answered, 'How terrible also for you teachers of the Law! You put onto people's backs loads which are hard to carry, but you yourselves will not stretch out a finger to help them carry those loads. How terrible for you (Luke 11:46-47a TEV)!" We teach our children and grandchildren, hopeful that they'll make wise decisions. Do we 'practice what we preach?'

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print