THEY WENT WITH SONGS TO THE BATTLE
by Wangari Murathe

"About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them. Suddenly there was such a violent earthquake that the foundations of the prison were shaken. At once all the prison doors flew open, and everyone's chains came loose" Acts 16: 25-26 (N.I.V)

To wage war is to make a concerted effort or campaign to combat or put an end to something considered injurious. This could be against those stifling your rights to equal dignity, life, liberty, security, work, education, cultural identity, equal treatment before the law, and right to follow your religion.

Wars and freedom struggles are fought with weapons such as guns, strikes, go slows, etcetera. Many are also fought with songs to boost the morale and staying power of the people, and also as a means to communicate to the enemy or oppressors the message of a commitment to relentless struggle until victory is won. From the Civil Rights Movement in the US, to Kenya's Mau Mau War against their colonizers, to South Africa's struggle against apartheid, there were emotional songs of defiance that helped to organize and win their cause.

In the classic poem written to celebrate the heroes of the First World War "To the Fallen" Robert Laurence Binyon said, "There is music in the midst of desolation and a glory that shines upon our tears. They went with songs to the battle They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted..."

Keep in mind that you are also in a war against the lures of sin, amid overt or veiled persecution for your Christian beliefs. What means are you using to keep yourself charged for victory?

For their battle to win souls for Christ, Paul and Silas were locked up in prison. While there they sang and prayed to the Lord and consequently the very foundations of the jail were shaken (Acts 16: 25-26.

Go to the battle with Songs of Praise and Overcoming.

*****
"The world is one great battlefield, with forces all arrayed. If in my heart I do not yield, I'll overcome some day". Rev. Dr. Charles Albert Tindley (1851-1933)
*****

Copyright Wangari Murathe. All rights reserved.
Wangari Murathe has a passion for inspiration and empowerment through Christian writing. Visit  http://www.faithfood.net/  for more Daily Devotionals and inspirational Christian stories and articles. She can also be contacted at [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print