Genesis 6:5 Devotional
by Bobby Bruno

"The LORD saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time."
Genesis 6:5

Due to the fall, we became imperfect people. Even imperfect people can do some good from time to time. When you are not a saved believer, you tend to look at others as more imperfect than you. But when it comes to leaders in the church, be it a Pastor or a Priest, unbelievers scrutinize these leaders with a fine tooth comb, as if a Pastor is God and should never act the way the rest of us act. For example, my family stopped going to church when I was eight years old. My father was known as the Bibleman because of his knowledge of the scriptures, but he was not a saved man; no one in my family was saved. One day, my sister slapped the Pastor's eight-year-old daughter because she was acting uppity as she always did because she was the Pastor's kid. The Pastor saw this and, in front of my parents, slapped my sister back. At that moment, we left the church behind for good and never went back. My father felt that, if a man of God could do what the Pastor did, then what made him any different than any other person on the street. My Scripture-filled father never understood that even leaders in the church are human and didn't lose their humanity the day they took the oath to lead people in the Lord.

As Christians, we know the true story behind man's sin and evil desires. We know that we will make mistakes, but that we have a God who will forgive those mistakes immediately after we make them. We know that a church leader will fall from time to time and that we must try and lead him back to God and away from whatever it was that led them astray in the first place. As Christians, we know not to "revere" any person and are to treat everyone as equal to ourselves, sins and all. We see what bad things the biblical characters have done and realize that they are still in the process of growing in their walks with God, as we all are. Doing "bad" things is a part of growing as a believer and we will make mistakes each and every day in our walk into holiness. The world doesn't understand this. They believe that all Christians should be perfect and holy at all times, but that's not how it works in God's plan. If God wanted us to be holy from day one He wouldn't let us slide for even one moment; He would have made us completely holy from day one. But, He didn't simply because He knows that only by making mistakes can we truly learn and grow.

Every character in the Bible needed time to grow and were called by God at the time that He felt was the right time and that the person He called had grown enough to do what God needed done. I'm glad that the Bible doesn't have perfect people described in it. If it did, I wouldn't be able to measure up and would stop trying to do so because I just can't do it on my own. But, thank God, He shows us that a person doesn't need to be perfect to be called and used. They just need to be available to learn all they need to be used when God feels it is necessary. Today, more and more people are being saved and used by God. Let the unbelievers worry about who is righteous and who isn't. God already knows who are His, and who is available to be called and used. Someday the world will see that it is the righteous people who are keeping God from destroying the earth too soon. Someday, they may thank us that we chose to respond to God's call on our lives here at school. What we learn may someday save their lives.

Comment: "Every time that I read Genesis, chapter six, it I only interpret it one way, I cannot get past it for some reason I can put the Bible down pray about it go back reread it and nothing I don't get it. I don't understand why I only perceive it one way."

Author Response: I have found in my experience in studying the Bible that, if you are reading and rereading a certain portion of Scripture and you keep getting the same interpretation each time you read it, it may be for several reasons. One reason may be the most obvious, since we're all human, that you are putting your own interpretation on what the scripture says without the leading of the Holy Spirit, which we should never, ever do if we want the true interpretation. Another reason could be that, for this time in your life, this interpretation is the only one God wants you to see for this portion of scripture. He may want you to chew on it for a while until you've gotten everything out of it He wants you to. The only other reason I can think of could be that you are not to understand this portion of scripture at this time. Many times we can look at a scripture for weeks and wonder why it isn't saying anything to us. This is simply because God doesn't want to use that scripture in your life yet. You may be drawn to it now simply because God is preparing your spirit for its use in your future. And, of course, the last reason could be how you are studying that piece of scripture. Some people just read the scripture and expect it to tell them something deep. But that can only be done by using good bible studying practices, such as hermeneutics. Whatever it is, let the Spirit lead you to the answer. He won't fail you.

Bobby Bruno was saved 15 years ago in a way that left him no doubt that Jesus wanted him to reach others with His great and abounding love.  He started writing at the age of 12 and hasn't stopped since. He achieved Associates Degree in Biblical Studies from Ohio Christian University in early 2014.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print