Deuteronomy 6:1-9 Devotional
by Bobby Bruno

"These are the commands, decrees and laws the Lord your God directed me to teach you to observe in the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess, so that you, your children and their children after them may fear the Lord your God as long as you live by keeping all his decrees and commands that I give you, and so that you may enjoy long life. Hear, Israel, and be careful to obey so that it may go well with you and that you may increase greatly in a land flowing with milk and honey, just as the Lord, the God of your ancestors, promised you. Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates."
Deuteronomy 6:1-9

One of the best ways to put God's Word into our hearts is to lose our laze-faire attitudes about reading our Bibles and studying the Scriptures for all they are worth. Some Christians think that if they just go to church each Sunday, hear the sermon and then memorize the scripture verse the preacher gave them during his message, that they have done all they are supposed to do to love God. According to most people (and I have been one of them in the past) learning scripture is hard; watching TV is not. There will be many Christians who will enter Heaven as one's who will just get through the fire and whose rewards will be few and they won't even know why because they've never read that portion of scripture. Even if you can't memorize a verse word for word, you should at least know what it says. I have a hard time memorizing things due to health reasons, but at least I know what the scriptures say if I am asked about what it says about a particular topic, and about what I need to know to live a righteous life in Christ. In today's society, there is no excuse for not having a Bible with you 24/7, what with I-phones, I-Pads and such. I have a pc program that gives me many Bible translations along with many, many study helps. The Internet is also replete with thousands of places to find the answers that any student of the Bible seeks. To get all of this in our hearts is easy we must all learn to obey and do what read about in God's Word. The Bible is not just a great place to find stories to peak our interest; they are also commands from God to us to show Him to the world. The Bible is just a collection of words unless we act upon what we read. When we are saved, God now expects us to know His Word so we can present Him to all we meet. From head to heart is just a matter of doing more than knowing. How can others see the love of God if we are not being the love of God? Being is an active word, not a spiritual word Being means doing, not as works to gain anything for ourselves, but as works simply because Christ saved us and we now "work" at telling the lost about Him because of His love for us in giving His life up for us on the cross. It's easy: the more we "do" what we need to learn, the easier it is to remember because it becomes a part of us. Repetition is power!

Bobby Bruno was saved 15 years ago in a way that left him no doubt that Jesus wanted him to reach others with His great and abounding love.  He started writing at the age of 12 and hasn't stopped since. He achieved Associates Degree in Biblical Studies from Ohio Christian University in early 2014.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print