Pestilent Preachers
by PamFord Davis

Have you ever secretly thought of certain individuals as pests? You knew that was not the proper attitude to have; yet, you wished they would disappear. They were irritating you when responsibilities called. Listening to their chatter or complaints, you wondered if they had a clue what pests they could be.

It is nonsensical; yet, many thought of Apostle Paul as a pest.

He ministered to the Gentiles, evangelized with missionary fervor and wrote his epistles through Holy Spirit anointing. How could they be so blind? He was disturbing their legalistic routine by teaching and preaching a message of salvation by grace, through faith. To them, he was a babbling pest.

Tertullus, speaking for the opposition, took their complaints to Roman Governor, Felix. "Notwithstanding, that I be not further tedious unto thee, I pray thee that thou wouldest hear us of thy clemency a few words. For we have found this man a pestilent fellow, and a mover of sedition among all the Jews (Acts 24:4-5a KJV)."

In current vernacular, I'd say Paul was 'rubbing them the wrong way.'

He was not saying what they wanted to hear. Sadly, frequently, what we want to hear is not what we most 'need' to hear. We are in desperate need of 'pestilent preachers.' Join me in a prayer of thanksgiving for those who boldly proclaim the Gospel. Undaunted by opposition, they persevere!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print