Needle-Like Extensions
by PamFord Davis

I have mentioned this before but that's okay; at my age, many of my friends cannot remember what I have said anyway. Some of my happiest memories of living in South Texas connect with God's creation. I viewed sensational sunsets, bluebonnets and my forever favorite, cactus in bloom. Their vibrant orange and yellow flowers are beyond my description.

Today, I placed a Psalm 138:8 passage on my computer desktop. A close-up snapshot of a cactus makes it extra special. God spoke to me through the cactus, no 'not' literally with an audible voice but He got his point across. Life involves both pleasing experiences and troublesome circumstances.

The cactus contains innumerable extremely sharp prickly needle-like extensions, making them difficult to handle. I speak from painful experience; 'look, but don't touch,' says it best. Yet, atop this undesirable plant, I view one flower in full bloom, two partially opened and a half dozen yet to bloom. The blooms symbolize God's mercies in the midst of thorns.

"For as the heavens are high above the earth,
So great is His mercy toward those who fear Him;
As far as the east is from the west,
So far has He removed our transgressions from us.
As a father pities his children,
So the LORD pities those who fear Him.
For He knows our frame;
He remembers that we are dust (Psalm 103:11-14 NKJ)."

The cactus, when cut open, has provided beneficial water to weary desert travelers. Jesus offers living water to those who thirst for righteousness. (Matthew 5:6/John 4:14) When circumstances cause me pain I purposely seek the LORD; He is merciful and kind. When He waters my wilderness, flowers bloom among thorns.

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print