OUR TREASURES IN HEAVEN
by Henry Miranda

Matthew 6:19-21 (KJV) Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Jesus is telling us that we should not worry about building up treasures here on earth, but that we should concentrate on building up treasures in heaven. You need to provide for the daily needs of your family. But do not exhaust all your strength and spend all your days in providing for the life here, but let your chief goal be to prepare for eternity.

Everything that we have is because we have received from our heavenly Father. Jesus does not prohibit material possessions or the enjoyment of material things. But he does forbid a selfish and extravagant materialism that ties us to this earth. We must use our earthly resources in ways that will benefit us in heaven instead of just enriching our lives here.

What is it about people that work all their lives to accumulate more and more wealth? I used to work with this doctor. He was in his 80s and was still trying to accumulate more properties. He owned blocks of houses, several buildings and still that was not enough for him! I would do all the electrical work on his houses and include upgrading the service panel. And he would always say that someday we would go together to Jamaica for some time off. Needless to say he passed away and everything he worked for went to his children and grandchildren. His grandchildren would stay at some of his houses without paying anything and they would be in involved in drugs.

We work so diligently for our wealth here on earth; when instead we should be working diligently for Jesus. We need to lay up our treasures in heaven knowing that we will have them eternally. Your treasure is where your heart is. If your heart is set on money instead of God who blessed you with that money you already have your temporal reward.

When we are giving to the Kingdom, we are storing up treasure in heaven. When a rich man dies people normally ask, "How much money did he leave behind?" The answer is always the same, "All of it!" You will never see a U-Haul following a hearse. Since you can't take it with you, why not send it ahead? Why leave so much behind to be destroyed when this world is burning? Or why leave so much behind for others to use in serving sin?

We can begin building our treasures in heaven by visiting the sick, helping to feeding the hungry, praying for one another, working in a shelter for the homeless, being a friend to someone who is lonely, forgiving someone who has hurt you, and saying you're sorry when you hurt someone. When we divide our bread with the hungry, and cover the naked with a garment we'll receive something that will be valuable to us in heaven because of our willingness to give something that's valuable to us here on earth. Which do you love more, earthly goods or heavenly treasures? Start storing up treasure in heaven by using your earthly treasures to build and enrich the kingdom of God




Evangelist Henry Miranda earned a Bachelor of Christian Ministry degree @ Christian Leadership University. Evangelist Henry Miranda is a Bible Teacher, Author, and Guest Speaker and, with the help of the Holy Spirit, has written ten books. You can reach @  //www.evangelize-for-jesus-ministries.co

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print