You Don't Know the Half of It
by Abby Kelly

The first song I heard my little niece sing was "Jesus Love Me". It was the first song I learned too, and maybe your first as well. That's probably because the song is simple, short and talks about how Jesus loves little ones.

But guess what? You don't know the half of it!

The song, "Jesus Loves Me" actually has four verses and is considered a hymn. Written in 1860, it was first sung to comfort a little child who was dying. But since then, the song has touched thousands of lives, even many people who did not know about Jesus. I heard a story recently about how "Jesus Loves Me" powerfully impacted the lives of several mentally ill adults.

An Oregon pastor was the counselor at a state mental institution. When he arrived, and for the next several weeks, no one responded to him. Most of the people there could not communicate or take care of themselves physically and had no interest in the young pastor who only wanted to help them. Sometimes the even laughed at him.

Then, one day, the pastor felt God tell him to sit down in the middle of the room and sing "Jesus Loves Me" over and over for a full hour. Nothing happened, but he didn't know what else to do. So for several weeks he just kept coming, sitting down on the floor and singing, "Jesus loves me, this I know!"

Time went by, and one day the pastor noticed that one of the patients was singing with him! He kept going and before too long others joined in. In one month, thirty-six of the patients were moved from the critical care area of the mental hospital to a place where they were responsible for themselves; they had improved dramatically. Before the year was over, all but two of the patents who had listened to the pastor sing, were well enough to leave the hospital.

"Jesus Loves Me" is a beautiful song; the words are true. The pastor from Oregon was a kind man and obedient to God. But the power to heal, comfort and save people never comes from a song, and the pastor himself had nothing to do with the miracle. The reason the mentally ill patients got well is the love of Jesusexactly what the song sings about.

If you'd like to know all the words to the hymn, "Jesus Loves Me", click here.

(Story sourced from The Power of Right Believing, by Joseph Prince, pg. 32)

Learn more about me on my website: http://predatory-lies.com/about-me/

Please find my book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Surviving-Predatory-Lies-Anorexia-Kelly-ebook/dp/B00HFGMBJA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389645006&sr=8-1&keywords=predatory+lies

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print