The other story in the Prodigal Son
by Jennifer Cardinal

Listening to Timothy Keller today gave me a new and challenging perspective on a story I have read many times ...

The story of the prodigal son in the bible ... we often know this story to be about the wayward son that comes home and his father rejoices with open arms and accepting love. The father does not punish the son but warmly welcomes him home. A reflection of God's love for us ... always welcoming us home , eager to love us.

This story is also about two ends of the spectrum which both come from the same place ultimately - self satisfaction. The wayward son who does what he pleases , he does not "obey" or follow the rules ... he abandons his family to do what he pleases. Then there is the son who does everything "right" to please his father and get recognition. This son feels slighted by his father ... why should my brother get the love and attention when it is I who does what is right? I have worked so hard , why should I give up what should be mine? So whether we live in reckless abandonment and do what we want with no regards to others or we do everything we can to do what is right with the ultimate goal of being recognized and rewarded ... they are both in and of the same ... which is seeking self.

One way is irreligious and the other religious ... the way of Christ is neither. It is about giving up your right to please yourself and coming home. It is about giving up the best seat in the house at the banquet for your wayward brother , your undeserving brother ... Christ did that for us. It is about grace, about love, about forgiveness and mercy. Seeking the heart of God ... not simply His blessings, favor and rewards in our outward circumstances and not our rights ... just Him.

When we give those things up we then realize how much freedom there is ... freedom from self seeking ways that really never measure up ... we get to sit at His table in ease and acceptance. This is the best seat in the house.

Please contact me at [email protected]

My family and I recently moved across the US from NV to CT.  This has brought about great change in our lives as well as in my own personal walk with God. I have re-discovered an old love of mine in this process - writing. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks for reading.  [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print