Watch Your Words
by Susan Ferguson

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. (Psalm 19:14)


Words are powerful. They can be beautiful and encouraging, but they can also cut to the heart and crush the spirit. A mismanaged tongue causes a multitude of sins including lying, slander, gossip, obscenities, guile, ridicule, and mockery. The wrong words can destroy a relationship, throw dirt on a reputation, and cause disunity in the church, home, and workplace. The tongue is a small member of the body, but what damage it can do. 


The Bible teaches that our words reveal what is in our hearts. (Matthew 12:34). The words we say and how we say them reveal our attitudes and the condition of our hearts. Words once spoken cannot be taken back. Not only must we give careful attention to the words we speak, but what we listen to, read, and watch. The words we allow into our minds can make their way to our lips. Reading God's Word cleanses the mind, resulting in words that mirror God's goodness. With prayer and the help of the Holy Spirit, we can resist the temptation to sin with our words.


Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips. (Psalm 141:3)


Heavenly Father, take control of my tongue and help me choose my words carefully. Purify my heart so my words will reflect Your goodness. In Jesus' name. Amen.




Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print