Book Review: The Holiness of God By R.C. Sproul
by Chris Gambrell

In my pursuit of reformed theology and the covenant of Grace, I was encouraged to pick up this book by a few online friends. While I admit that I was never really a big fan of R.C. Sproul, I really enjoyed this book. This book is enlightening to what it means for God to be holy.

Sproul uses the bible to explain what holiness is and lists examples in the Bible as well as his own life and other things to explain God's holiness. God is terrifying, God is righteous and full of justice, and God is full of mercy and grace. We all encounter the holy at some point as Christians and experience wrestling with God and being undone in Him and relieved of our misery and sin and given His grace. While the depth of Sproul's knowledge and philosophical discussions might scare some readers away after Chapter 1, I would strongly encourage the reader to continue reading. The treasures that lie within are definitely worth the effort of reading.

It surely is important to understand who God is as He has revealed Himself in Scripture. "The Holiness of God," Sproul explains holiness how it applies to God and why it is important to us.

It is suitable to fear God because He is completely unknown, unfamiliar, and different from what we are and know. The more some comes to understand God's holy character, the more he becomes aware of his own sinfulness. This awareness should instill in us a sense of reverence.

I can't fully understand God's mercy, grace, and forgiveness until I first really understand God's holiness. It is then that I will finally stop resisting and fighting against His holiness.


Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print