Big Brother
by Rev. Will. Harrison Jr.

Luke 22:
31. And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:
32. But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

Jesus said to Simon Peter that Satan had desired that he have Peter and be allowed to sift him. We dont precisely know how he would have sifted Peter but you can be sure it would have been very ugly. An interesting point though is that Jesus knew this. Now dont tell me its because Jesus was God and knew all things as God does. Before Jesus was resurrected and ascended to the Father he did not have access to all data and information. Remember He once said who touched me about the woman who had an issue of blood and wanted to touch Jesus. He also said himself that only the Father knows the exact moment of his second coming. Oh, you mean they keep secrets from each other up there? Lets not go there. We dont know for certain if Jesus was told this information from His Father alone, or was privy to the application Satan made for Peter, or if Jesus simply read the devils mind, who really knows. It doesnt matter friend. All that matters is that Jesus knew and was willing to let Peter in on the devils desires. Wow.


Jesus said to Peter but I have prayed for you. Whoa. Jesus told Peter, possibly right in front of the others, we dont know, that He the Messiah, the Son of God, the Lord, the Word made Flesh, had Prayed for Peter, in response to the devils desires and likely application. Why didnt Jesus just ask the Father to rebuke and bind and silence the devil, like many of us would have? We cant say for absolutely sure because we werent there, but it would appear that Jesus prayed what he did as a direct result of the Fathers direction as to how to pray for Peter, even for a far better purpose. Even one that would so help Peter become way more than he thought he ever could be but even able to turn around, as Jesus did, and strengthen his Brethren. And maybe when Peter ended up doing this, as he most certainly did do one day, the Father through the same Spirit may have directed him to pray the same thing. No, No, it doesnt necessarily mean that because of the way the Father directed Jesus to pray and the obvious wisdom in it for Peters future that this is how we should approach situations similar to what Peter was in. God isnt interested in methodology or technique or formulas as we certainly are. He directs how a thing should be prayed for or prepared for based primarily on what He plans and intends to do with the object of the prayer and direction. This isnt just to keep the devil somehow off guard and never figuring God out. Ill bet ya that the Lord loses no sleep wondering if the devil is getting close to figuring him out. The devil, formerly known as the Arch-Angel Lucifer knows God way better than we have so far, yet in vain now. He also has read the book and heard all of us reading it to him over and over.

And were sure this wasnt the only time he prayed for Peter. The Bible even says he is in Heaven interceding for you and me every day. Wow. And Jesus didnt pray for Peter to be rescued from the sifting of Satan but he prayed that through it all Peters faith would not fail. And Jesus said that when Peter was converted..[you mean he wasnt yet? You mean Jesus appointed him and anointed him already as an Apostle before he was even converted]? Wow. Were the other Apostles and even Disciples also not yet converted at that point? Dont know for sure.

This also is a great example of the fact that a Christian can miss Heaven before he gets there if something terrible goes wrong. Not just simply the story of Judas Iscariot who also was an Apostle and was anointed and went out with the other Apostles on a Ministry trip and was casting out devils, healing the sick, etc. [ and there are other examples ] but if Peters faith had failed as Jesus said he prayed it would not, I wonder what would have happened to Peter. Thank God above the Fathers will was realized in the prayer of faith of Jesus. But the Bible says it is Gods will [ and desire, and intent ] that no one would be lost but that all would come to repentance But we know from the Bible that there will be a great many who will not have Jesus to rule over them. How sad for the Lord and the Father and the Precious Holy Spirit.

Obviously here we clearly have a part to play and because of that a clear responsibility. Not to help God save us, or help save ourselves, as Jesus alone did. But to be a part of the answers to the prayers of God in Jesus to let God have his way with us instead of letting the devil has his way. And because this is the case then there certainly is a way we could be lost forever before we ever get to Heaven or the end of our lives. Wow.

Before you were converted did the devil try to sift you as he wanted to with Peter? He doesnt bother with that with those who have not responded to the call to leave all and follow Jesus, as did Peter and his friends. He only desires to sift those who have. And assuming you have been converted since then, have you been involved in strengthening the Brethren?

Did Peter end up having his faith fail as Jesus talked about in His prayer after Peter denied knowing Jesus after the Lords arrest? I dont think so.

Keep in mind here that when either Jesus prays for someone himself or by his Spirit directs someone to pray for another, and does so in such a way as we may think is wrong or insufficient, along with Jesus directed prayers come all the forces of Heaven and the Godhead behind those prayers. Its a Win-Win situation. You cant lose. No reason to be worried about the actual words or nature of the prayer. Nor the outcome. Just like when Jesus was told about Lazarus being sick unto death He didnt sweat it because He knew.

Exactly how Peter ended up strengthening the Brethren we can only know from what we do have recorded in the Holy Scriptures about Peters life after Jesus Death and Resurrection. And there is a lot there to read about. But no doubt his Ministry to his fellow followers and believers of Jesus went way beyond what we read. In fact, to this day God has honored the memory and Spirit of Christ, as He was in Peter by continuing to bless me and so many others, simply through the few words of a couple of letters God had Peter write to the Jewish believers in Jerusalem and beyond. So Peter ended up becoming a Big Brother like Jesus his Big Brother before him. Wow.


Rev. Will. Harrison Jr. Minister since late seventies, living with disabilities, married with children, should not have been saved. Former white & blue collar businessman. President and Founder LifeBuilders Ministry www.lifebuilders.mysite.com

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print