Fickle Feelings
by Taylor Hoisington

Isaiah 26:3, "You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!"

I could feel my blood starting to boil. My peace was gone, and I was becoming very irritated. I didn't know whether to scream or cry.

Have you ever been there?

At one moment, I can be having the best day of my life, and in the next moment, my world as I know it can seem to be falling apart.

If I look back over some of the days I have had, I can see this to be true. One minute everything seems like sunshine and rainbows, and in the next moment, everything seems to be horrible.

You've probably heard the expression, "Feelings are fickle." This means that our feelings are always changing. I completely agree with this statement. If I end with this statement, I can find myself discouraged because although I love feeling happy, I don't enjoy feeling hopeless.

Isaiah 26:3 has been a verse that's brought me much comfort! It says: "You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!"

When my feelings begin to change from excitement to frustration, this verse reminds me that I need to refocus my attention. I need to lift my eyes up off of my circumstances and how I feel right now and place them on Christ. I need to get my focus off of my ever changing feelings and onto my never changing God.

If you read one verse down, Isaiah 26:4 says, "Trust in the Lord always, for the Lord God is the eternal Rock."

Our feelings are fickle, but our God is not. Hebrews 13:8 says, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever." and James 1:17 says, "Whatever is good and perfect comes down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes or casts a shifting shadow."

If you begin to no longer feel peaceful, I want to challenge you with this suggestion. Begin speaking Scripture out loud. The other day, I was getting really upset inside about something. I wanted to react in a godly way, but when my feelings were all wrapped up, I knew I'd react poorly. So, I prayed hard that God would help me. I told Him how I wanted to handle things in a godly way, but that I was so frustrated. Then, my focus began to change. I started confessing Scripture out loud, and I seriously could feel the frustration melting away. I confessed over my life Jeremiah 29:11, Romans 8:28, and a couple other verses. By the end of my few moments of refocusing my eyes on Christ, I was better. I once again had peace, and I was able to handle life with my head on straight.

Remind yourself often of Isaiah 26:3: "You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in You, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!"

Dear Heavenly Father,

As You well know, feelings are fickle. Sometimes we feel happy, and just a few moments later, we can find ourselves frustrated and sad. Lord, I've noticed myself struggling in this area a bit lately. My prayer has been that You'd make me a stable person regardless of my circumstances, and I believe You're allowing me to have some tests put in my life to challenge me and help me grow in this area. I believe this is part of the refining fire. Help me, Lord, to not live by how I feel but rather by following You and obeying You in-spite of how I may feel at the time. Help me react in a godly way especially when I don't feel like it. Keep me in perfect peace as I trust in You and keep my thoughts fixed on You. In Jesus' Name.

Amen.

Taylor desires to use the gift God has given her to write to reach people for Christ. More of her writings can be found on her facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gods-Girl-Devotionals/1438687046349953?ref=hl or in her book God's Girl Devotionals, My Journey Through Life with God by my Side

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print