The Relationship Between The Names Of Jesus Christ And His Assignment On Earth
by Ngozi Nwoke

Names are very significant to the life of any individual. It describes the destiny, purpose and character of the person. It actually dictates his steps or decisions. Therefore, a good name will speak well of an individual while a bad one will speak ill of such a one. In this article, we will consider the names of Jesus Christ and how they relate to His assignment on earth.

For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:6 NKJV)

And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins." (Matthew 1:21 NKJV)

God uses names to pass across messages to men. When God names your unborn baby, He is directly telling you what to expect of the baby, He is prophesying into the life of the child. That is why it is good to receive the names of your babies from God. And even if you name him yourself, the baby will live by the meaning of the name.

A name either brings out the best or the worst from a person, accelerates or hinders his success, builds joy and peace in his life, or sorrow and misery. Whatever the name, it surely will affect the people around him positively or negatively. The power of names can not be over-emphasized.

God changed Abraham's name from Abram to Abraham to describe what he would become later - father of nations, (Genesis 17:5-6). And truly, he became the father of nations- both of the physical Israelites and the spiritual Israelites through Christ.

Also, Jacob was living out his name, which meant supplanter, until God changed his name to Israel. He supplanted Esau twice. He took away his birthright, and took away his blessing, (Genesis 27:36). But in Genesis 32:24-28, when he wrestled with the angel and prevailed, he asked him to bless him, and the blessing he got was a change of name! So name speaks a lot about an individual.

This is the reason why Christ's names speak a lot about Him. Here, we will consider a few of His names:

Jesus - Saviour (Matthew 1:21)

Immanuel - God with us (Matthew 1:23)

Jehovah - The Lord (Isaiah 40:3)

The Redeemer (Isaiah 59:20)

The Word - (John 1:1)

Son of man - (Mark 10:33)

Son of David - ( Matthew 1:1)

Seed of the woman (Genesis 3:15)

Seed of Abraham (Galatians 3:16,19)

Lamb of God (John 1:29)

The Lamb that was slain (Revelation 5:12)

The Good Shepherd (John 10:11)

Bread of life (John 6:35)

The light of the world (John 8:12)

The Wisdom of God (1 Corinthians 1:24)

The Power of God (1 Corinthians 1:24)

The Rock (Matthew 16:18)

The Mediator (1 Timothy 2:5)

The Intercessor (Hebrews 7:25)

The Advocate. (1 John 2:1)

The Last Adam (1 Corinthians 15:45)

The Resurrection (John 11:25)

A Quickening Spirit (1 Corinthians 15:45)

The Deliverer (Romans 11:26)

The Lion of the Tribe of Judah (Revelation 5:5)

Lord of Lords (Revelation 17:14)

King of Kings (Revelation 17:14)

Lord of all (Acts 10:36)

Lord over all (Romans 10:12)

The Prince of Peace (Isaiah 9:6)

The Beginning and the Ending (Revelation 1:8)

The Alpha and the Omega (Revelation 1:8)

The First and the Last (Revelation 1:17)

My Portion (Jeremiah 10:16)

My Helper (Hebrews 13:6)

My Physician (Jeremiah 8:22)

My Healer (Luke 9:11)

My Restorer (Psalm 23:3)

My All in All (Colossians 3:11)

Jesus, the Saviour, came to save the world so that as many as would receive Him would be saved. And Him being the Word makes it clear that the scriptures are centered around Him.

For God to restore man, He needed a man like Adam, since He put man in charge of the world for a season and his time was not yet over. So, Jesus had to be a Son of man to accomplish His purpose, and at the same time fulfill God's word against the devil that the Seed of the woman would bruise his head.

Jesus Christ had to be the Seed of Abraham for us to enjoy the blessing of Abraham through Christ, and He had to be the Son of David in fulfillment to God's promise to King David that a seed of His would ascend the throne forever.

As lambs were slain for sin atonement of the people in the old covenant, Christ had to be the Lamb that was to be slain once and for all for the atonement of the sins of the whole world in the new covenant. And He being the Good shepherd laid His life for His sheep.

Christ is the Bread of life whom when eaten, gives you life in abundance. And Him being the Light of the world is the perfect guide to follow so as not stumble in this world no matter the challenge. He is full of wonders and will always give you the right counsel.

Jesus is the wisdom and power of God with which God defeated the enemy, making a public show of him, triumphing over him. And Him being your Rock, you are sure of your support, pillar or foundation. He is your advocate and still intercedes for you from heaven.

He is The Lord of Lords and King of Kings and so Lord of all and over all, everybody and powers are subject to Him.

Do you desire peace? Christ is the best authority to consult, and as the beginning and the ending, the first and the last, nothing is hidden from Him, neither is there anything new or strange to Him that He cannot handle.

And if you will receive Him as your portion,what accrues to Him becomes your portion; as your Helper you will enjoy unending helps; as your Physician or Healer, total health will be your testimony. Indeed, Jesus Christ is your all in all, you are fully covered on every side.

In conclusion, The Lord truly is the Way, the Truth and the Life (John 14:6), no one can come to the Father except through Him. Whoever would receive Him need not fear again. His name is a strong tower, the righteous run in and they are safe - Proverbs 18:10.

Ngozi Nwoke is a teacher, speaker, counselor and author of "Peace Money Can't Buy" and "The Man Jesus: What You Need to Know About Christ". She has a passion to teach people how to enjoy peace, God's love, and Christian living for a more fulfilling life. Want a more fulfilling life? 

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print