FAITH AND FRIENDS
by Jeffrey Hagan

by Rev. Jeff Hagan, DCE, DMin, (ThD)


Introduction:
When we live our lives with faith and obedience it will increase our desire to choose the right kinds of friends, and to BE the right kind of friend. To assist us in this desire, let's look at five quick principles regarding friendship that we find in the Book of Proverbs.

First When we live a life of faith we need to choose our friends very carefully.

PROVERBS 13:20 - "Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm" (ESV).

Second True friends hold confidences.

PROVERBS 17:9 - "Whoever covers an offense seeks love, but he who repeats a matter separates close friends" (ESV).

Third A true friend is there when you need them.

PROVERBS 17:17 - "A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need" (NLT).

Fourth A true friend holds us accountable.

PROVERBS 27:5-6 - "Betteris open rebuke than hidden love. Faithful are the wounds of a friend; profuse are the kisses of an enemy" (ESV).

Fifth A true friend strengthens and encourages.

PROVERBS 27:17 - "Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another" (ESV).

Conclusion:
There's no way of knowing, but I like to imagine that as Solomon penned these verses he had in mind the deep relationship his dad (King David) and Jonathan had. Something to remember is that the best way to have solid friends is to be a solid friend. I pray these gems from Proverbs will assist you in strengthening your relationships today and every day.

Jeff Hagan is the President of True Grace Ministries and Theological Institute. Interested? www.preacherjeff45.wlxsite.com/truegracetheolgical

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print