You Have One Vote -- Make it Count!
by Alan Allegra

Election Day is creeping up on us on little cat feet wearing tap shoes. Because it's "only" a mid-term election, it doesn't garner the interest of a presidential election, although politicians and wannabees are screaming for our attention and screaming at each other.

Voters hope their candidates will win and singlehandedly transform the country and the world into a place that will give them what they want and usher in a new era of peace, prosperity, and pleasure. Wake me when that happens, will you?

One of the great features of the United States is that we have the freedom -- yeah, privilege -- yeah, duty -- to elect those who govern us. This has not always worked to our advantage but it's better than most alternatives. Being a diverse population, we cannot agree on what the best policies are. Many of us long for one person who will unite us all so we can sit around a continental bonfire and sing "We Are the World," "Imagine" or "Kumbaya" (See, we can't even agree on that!).

There is good news and there is bad news: The good news is that one person will come; the bad news is that one person will come. Before the Senility Patrol arrives, allow me to explain.

First the bad news: God's Word tells us that a man will appear on the world stage, cloaked in cunning concealed by charm, apparently having cheated death, "and the whole earth marveled as they followed the beast" (Revelation 13:3). "The coming of the lawless one is by the activity of Satan with all power and false signs and wonders, and with all wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved" (2 Thessalonians 2:9-10).

This man, known as the antichrist, will not only bring a temporary peace to the world -- he will proclaim himself to be God (2 Thessalonians 2:4). History has seen the demise of many pretenders to the heavenly throne, and the nations are no better off for their short minuet on the world stage. This man will meet his Maker in a most dramatic way: "And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will kill with the breath of his mouth and bring to nothing by the appearance of his coming" (2 Thessalonians 2:8).

This leads to our good news: The true Prince of Peace will return to set up a kingdom that will never be corrupted, challenged or commutated. "[T]he God of heaven will set up a kingdom that shall never be destroyed, nor shall the kingdom be left to another people. It shall break in pieces all these kingdoms and bring them to an end, and it shall stand forever" (Daniel 2:44). It will be a kingdom that will please everyone: "He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away" (Revelation 21:4).

There is just one caveat, one little qualification: One must choose to become a part of this kingdom. We cannot elect the King; that's already been done by God. Speaking of Jesus Christ, Isaiah foretold, "Behold my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights;
I have put my Spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations" (Isaiah 42:1).

We can, however, vote ourselves into this kingdom by repenting of sin and choosing to serve the Lord. In fact, in a reversal of our system, God elects the citizens, not vice versa: "Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him?" (James 2:5). God will populate his kingdom with those who choose to love him.

Even before this Election Day, you have an eternal choice to make: "And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve . . . But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" (Joshua 24:15).

Alan is editor of Lifestyles Over 50 (Thrive Media) and contributor to the Allentown, PA, Morning Call. He is also an adult Sunday school teacher and Bible study leader. Passionate about reviving theology and church methodology, and being a senior citizen!

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print