The Big City
by Mark Heatherly

This big city was not unlike any other. It had many people both great and small, wise and unwise, good and bad. It had leaders and followers, the people bought and sold, they married and had children and they had things happen both good and bad.

And so it was like any other city, the people lived their lives fully occupied with the things and tasks at hand until they died and then the circle began anew. Some excelled above others, some had more sufferings than others, and some lived longer than others.

There seemed to be no rhyme or reason, everyone just lived their lives and made do with what came their way both good and bad. They lived as though it were forever till their bodies grew old and then they realized it wasn't so very long after all. Sometimes people would wonder if there were something more. Some thought this and some thought that.

Then one day, one person withdrew some ways away from the city. Away from all the hustle and bustle, he looked up. Many had looked up before and saw what appeared to be mountains on the other side, but it was rather fuzzy and hazy and a long ways away.

No one had ever looked for very long before because these things and the tasks at hand would quickly recapture their focus and attention and besides, it was a real pain in the neck to look for so long.

This one person however, had such a stirring deep inside that he set himself to do as no other. What if, thought he, there were something more. Maybe, just maybe no one had ever ventured so far that they might look and see.

So against all the reasons, the logics and fear and the inevitable pain in the neck, he ventured on further from the big city, beyond where any had gone before keeping his eyes fixed above.

Then, lo and behold, he began to see. It was still too far to make out, so higher and higher he climbed till what appeared to be another. Excited but unsure he continued to climb till then another & another he saw. What could this be ? Was there indeed life & happenings beyond that of the big city?

As he observed & pondered he realized there indeed were many goings on & these people, they were unnaturally big & strong. They were all very focused, intent & determined unlike those of the big city.

There seemed to be some sort of war. The battle was very fierce though weapons he did not see. What could they be fighting over, what could it be?

He saw there were two sides & one would prevail & then the other as if it were a most serious tug of war. The intense looks on their faces clued him in, what ever it was the stakes were high.

Then in the midst of his observations & thoughts he heard his name. As he looked towards whence the voice had come he saw many strong men in white prevailing against the other side. They were stronger than a thousand men each. In utter amazement & terror he realized they were fighting over him.

Then one of the men in white whose strength brought fear said to the man, "look down at the city & see". A path was there from whence he had come, as it had been cleared by these mighty men." Hurry go down", said he "and show others the way".

He looked down upon the city , his perspective forever changed. What once seemed so big now seemed quite small.

With a passion & ferver before he could not have known, he hurried back down to tell all.

The mighty man charged him & said "Many have fought & suffered till now that you might see & live. Now keep your mind sharp & focused. Do not forget this battle for it is life & death. Keep your mind on the things above, do not be distracted by the things & the tasks at hand. For your life is not merely as it seems in this very small little town. There is a battle going on for your very souls. But know this, you are not merely a spectator nor a pawn.. For now you are a partaker of the kingdom which you have seen. From here on out, fight the good fight".

I make my writings available to all, but I would very much like to hear from those who have questions or comments or are built up & enriched & also from those who wish to use my writings for reprint.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print