Mercy for Mary
by PamFord Davis

"For judgment will be merciless to one who has shown no mercy: mercy triumphs over judgment (James 2:13 NAS)."

Joseph, a righteous Jew, did not have the advantage of reading the above scripture passage and had no foreknowledge of his God appointed role as guardian of Jesus, the Son of God.

He had no way of knowing that he would father a son named James, who would accept his half-brother Jesus as Messiah.

Joseph knew only that Mary, his betrothed, was with child. The Law was clear. If a virgin conceived before marriage, she was as an adulterous, to be stoned to death. [Deuteronomy 22:22]

Mercy for Mary

"Then Joseph her husband,* being a just man, and not wanting to make her a public example, was minded to put her away secretly (Matthew 1:19 NKJ)."

* (Betrothal was binding as if already husband & wife. He could have severed their covenant marriage relationship by divorcement.)

Message for Joseph

"But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, 'Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. And she will bring forth a son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins (Matthew 1:20-21 NKJ)."

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print