It's About Time...
by William Ryzek

We are born into timewe die into eternity. Our natural existence is, therefore, temporal whereas our soul's existence is eternal. The former we can understand, at least to a degree, but the latter remains unfathomable and this by divine decree (Eccl. 3:11 NKJV).

God is the creator of time"In the beginning God created" He is therefore its Lord setting the sun, moon and stars as markers for seasons, times, signs, days and years (Gen. 1:14 NKJV) and later for determining festivals, feasts, celebrations or, in short, those "appointed times" when His people meet with Him. He set the stamp of eternity on temporal existence, the supernatural on the natural thereby giving time and existence their true meaning and value.

It's not surprising that time occupies the attention of most people while eternity remains on the periphery of consciousness. Consequently, it is easy to be misled into thinking that time is all there is and its cessation means the end of experience. The unavoidable conclusion is this: If there is nothing beyond temporal existence except, well, nothing then any meaning attached to life ends as well. Therefore, ultimately, existence is meaningless. This inherent sense of meaninglessness drives the self-gratification, narcissism, and nihilism that defines our culture. The alternative world-view is presented by the Preacher when he says that everyone has 'eternity' in their hearts (Eccl. 3:11 NKJV) and therefore temporal existence has meaning now because eternity is in view. All else is merely vanity.

Our attitude towards time is shown by the language we use. For example, we kill time (as if it were an impediment), waste time (as if there is an unlimited supply), mark time (as if we are in prison), keep track of time (as if we are lost without it), don't have time (for this or that depending on our priorities) and finally, we spend time and buy time. These last two are especially interesting because they employ the language of currency. Buying time means we need more of it to accomplish, or avoid, something and willing to sacrifice something else to get it. Spending time means we think something, or someone, worthy of the minutes, hours, or days we might be lavishing on it, or them. As it turns out, the currency of time is far more valuable than money because getting monetary wealth requires time. Just witness the amount of time people 'spend' pursuing wealth and then 'buying more time' to get more of it.

Because the Maker of time knows best how to use it we learn He "requires an account of what is past" (Eccl. 3:15 NKJV). So, like monetary transactions, a spiritual kind of book keeping is required. It is wise, then, to ask Him this: "teach us to number our days, that we might present to You a heart of wisdom". (Psa. 90:12 NASB). Numbering days is just that, counting them but, in this context, with both eternity and the brevity of human existence defining the sum. It is a gaining of that particular perspective necessary for resisting the temptation of thinking time is anything other than a creation by God and a gift from God.

This numbering of days has at least four consequences-it reminds us that time is passing by and with each passing day fewer remain. It also focuses us on the day we now have, how valuable it is as an opportunity to please God in some way or other rather than wasting it on vain and empty projects. Thirdly, it places our lives within the framework of God's time, measured by the days, months, years seasons and holy days He established from the very beginning in Genesis and reiterated again and again throughout the Bible. Finally, numbering our days leads to wisdom that is something we gain and something we give to God, like a gift of a life well spent.

The basis for this fourth consequence is the language of Psa. 90:12 (NKJV) suggesting two interpretations about this wisdom of numbering days. The NKJV reads "that we may gain a heart of wisdom" whereas the NASB reads "that we may present to You a heart of wisdom". These are both entirely acceptable translations and, therefore, can be considered together, like both sides of a single coin. So, numbering our days does something to us and something for God. The former seems easy to understand but the latter provokes a pronounced wonderment, at least for me. If I can present to God wisdom, then I can present something else as well, say stupidity for example, like engaging in the wanton consumption of all things worldly. Consequently, according to the first translation, instead of gaining a heart of true wisdom I might instead gain that kind of wisdom James describes as "earthly, natural, demonic". (James 2:13-15)

Given the sweeping panorama of this Psalm it is noteworthy that numbering our days follows a reference to understanding the full depth of God's wrath and judgment, i.e. the proper 'fear of God' which we know is the "beginning of wisdom". It is true that familiarity breeds contempt and with the grossly warped views of God being promulgated these days, where God is portrayed as an indulgent parent, such familiarity excludes the respect due His Name; it is in my judgment an idolatrous frivolity. This is not to say that being a Christian is morbid but that the joy, gladness and happiness promised us can only be such when balanced with a proper fear of God; this is what is meant by the 'wisdom' we bring to God. The upshot is we need God to teach us this unique and wise numbering of days. Left to our own devices, the gravity of the matter will surely escape us. And Who better to ask for help than the creator of time Himself? And, so with David we can pray

Psalm 39:45 (NKJV)
4 "LORD, make me to know my end,
And what is the measure of my days,
That I may know how frail I am.
5 Indeed, You have made my days as handbreadths,
And my age is as nothing before You;
Certainly every man at his best state is but vapor.
Selah

William Ryzek, PhD has been both a pastor and academic for several years.  He has published articles in various magazines and newspapers. He can be reached at [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print