Why Am I Doing This?
by sandra snider

"Why am I doing this? What am I doing? And then you jump, and you get to the ground, and you go, 'Oh, that's why. 'Cause it's awesome!' (Quote from a student in a performing-arts circus school.)

When I read this statement in a newspaper article, it occurred to me that I've had similar thoughts. For example, I think those exact same thoughts when I practice airplane stalls at 3,000 feet. Student pilots need to understand what a stall is, why it occurs, and how to recover. As I repeat the maneuver with my instructor, I think to myself, "Why am I doing this? What am I doing?" But then after the lesson, when I'm back on the ground, I go, "Oh that's why. 'Cause it's awesome!"

In my Christian life I sometimes ask myself, "Why am I doing this? Why do I invest my life serving the Lord?" Indeed, Matthew 6:14 even plainly tells me that narrow is the gate and difficult is the way when you follow the Lord Jesus.

When these thoughts come I have a little talk with my soul and the conversation goes like this: "How blessed am I to love, know and serve Jehovah God, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? How blessed am I to love, know and serve our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ? This world holds nothing for me. Whom have I in heaven but the Lord?"

Then, like the circus performer and the student pilot, when I get back to spiritual ground zero, my soul affirms the truth of Psalm 47:2, "Yes, that's why! 'Cause He is a great King over all the earth; the Lord Most High is awesome!"


Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print