Stick to Your Ribs
by PamFord Davis

"It'll stick to your ribs."

It is a bitter cold Deep South January morning. Deciding on hot cereal and toast for breakfast, I begin to scarf it down. It is just what the proverbial doctor ordered. On the other hand, is it merely memories of frigid mornings and before school breakfasts in Central NY State?

The Ford's were not big breakfast fans. Normally, in childhood I ate some toast and washed it down with hot chocolate. In teen years, I exchanged Mom's hot coffee for the hot chocolate. Yet, nearly fifty years after leaving school, I still remember Mom encouraging me to eat hot cereal.

"It'll stick to your ribs."

That sounds gross. Who wants goop sticking to your ribs?

I understand her coaxing and her reasoning. It was cold outside (and for that matter, inside too). She wanted me to start the day with a substantial hot breakfast; it was nutritious and would last me until my sack lunch at noon.

The hot cereal would stick with me

I want relationships that stick to my ribs, adding warmth and strength when I need them most. Ain't God good? In my lifetime, he has given me many friends that I cherish. Could it be that when we first met the LORD whispered?

'They'll stick by you.'

"A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother (Proverbs 18:24 KJV)."

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print