Ministering Is For Every Believer
by Dr. Henderson Ward

The way some churches have developed over the centuries is quite sad because they have either not fully understood the essential calling of every believer to Christian service or they have willfully disregarded that calling in order to create a bossy clergy.

In truth one can go way back in history and lay the blame for this at the feet of Emperor Constantine, aka St. Constantine, because his grasp of Christian theology was awfully slight and he did many things for and with Christianity not to advance and support it but to solidify his grasp of his imperial throne.

There are those who will jump to Constantine's defence and point to his convening the first Ecumenical Council ae Nicea in 325. It is true he did, but for mainly political reasons, and we must not forget that Constantine lived as a pagan for nearly all his life; and it is disputable if he did get converted and baptised on his deathbed.

It is mainly the case that Roman Catholicism embellished the practice of a professional clergy and gave it powers and responsibilities that were not originally belonging to them.

All offices in the original church were for the ministering to the church as servants of the people. There is nothing in scripture that allows ministers, i.e. the clergy, to be bosses of the people.

The truth is that professional ministers bossing the congregation is the opposite of what it should be. Even the 12 Apostles, who were specially called, empowered and ordained to lay the foundation of the church were not to be bosses of the believers.

Jesus Christ made this clear when he chastised his Apostles about position, and servanthood, following the request of the mother of Zebedee's children. After hearing her request privileged positions for her sons, Jesus said, "But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant." (St. Matthew 20:26-27)

The servant minister is the right model not just for clergy but for all those in Christian ministry. It is important to remember that believers are "a royal priesthood" (1 Peter 2:9)

The problem arises when some churches teach that the minister/pastor is THE chosen one to minister to the assembly and everyone else is merely an assistant carrying out his wishes.

This is absolutely not so.

People are apt to confuse gifts of the Holy Spirit with the holding of office. Office holders are there to do a job on behalf of the church. Gifts are given by God to minister to the congregation.

There should be no confusion but often there is.

In the early church each assembly had a bishop, sometimes he was referred to as the elder, and he was a layman. Paul himself was a layman and worked with his own hands to provide for his necessities as per 2 Thessalonians 3:8: "Neither did we eat any man's bread for nought; but wrought with labour and travail night and day, that we might not be chargeable to any of you."

This is not to suggest that fulltime ministers should not be supported by the church but rather to show Paul's example to believers how to be effective servants of the assembly.

When you become a believer, i.e. you become a member of the body of Christ, you sign on into a living corporation in which everyone has and plays an essential part.

There are no redundances in the body of Christ, and the concept that some are there as hangers on, going along for a ride but not really active and doing anything useful is a false notion that must be abandoned.

You will recall how Paul, in demonstrating how each member of the assembly is crucial to the effective operation of the whole, likened the members to the five different parts of the body and established their interdependence. He could have enlarged the list to include the heart, lungs, liver, etc., to make evident that in their ow way each one is important.

God has not given anybody something that He has not given to others. No prophet, priest or king has something special that you do not have. This notion is a myth that is peddled by unworthy clergy that want you to rely on them and not on the Holy Spirit.

Paul showed the falsehood of this notion when he said, "But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal." (1 Corinthians 12:7)

Every believer has the manifestation of the Spirit so that his gift can be profitable to the assembly. And you DO have a gift. Look again at what God has set in the church and there you will see included your gift: "And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues." (1 Corinthians 12:28)

Do not allow anyone to smother your gift, or tell you that you are not gifted, because you do not occupy the pulpit and hold some official position.

You must exercise your gift; inside or outside the church. That is why God has given you the gift and you are to use it for Christian ministry.

I know of someone here in Barbados who has the gift of singing. When she sang she was not performing, she was not doing it for money or for the applause or entertainment of people. She was ministering through song and she was a blessing. She fell out with the local church and she got no more singing invitations.

This sometimes happen to talented, gifted believers especially those who do not let the local church control them.

This believer left that assembly and set herself up as a gospel singer and is now invited to minister in song all across Barbados. She did right and God is blessing His church through her ministering in song.

There are powerful reasons why you should use your talent, or gift or ability in Christian ministry.

First. Your gift is given to you by God. The Almighty has chosen you for that gift because the gift is suitable for you and you can handle it.

Second. The gift is given to you not just for your personal enjoyment, but that you can make an important contribution to building up the body of Christ.

Third. You must treat your gift the way you would if a friend lent you his new car to drive; with utmost care and attention. You can neglect and be lackadaisical or you can be attentive, enthusiastic and accomplished.

Fourth. You have to seek opportunities to use your gift for God. For example. If your gift is singing and you hear of an upcoming event, then you will be showing good wisdom and prudence by asking the organisers if you can sing for them. It may not be a gospel occasion; so what?

Fifth. Your gift, when properly used, will always nourish believers. Think of your gift as food that God has given you to feed others and be conscious always that God has given you that responsibility.

Christian ministry is for every believer, because God has designed it so, and no believer is left out. Examine again your situation and take note of your gift and make sure that when you are called to account the Saviour will say, "Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord." (St. Matthew 25:23)

Enough said.

Books by this author (non-fiction except indicated otherwise)

E-books Published by Amazon.com
If you do not have a Kindle then when you access the site, click on How Buying Works and you will see the FREE apps for Computer, Cell phone, etc Then click as appropriate.

(Please click on the appropriate book link or cut and paste in your URL)

STAND UP TO THE DEVIL (e-book)
Volume 1 You must first identify him
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BQVLSS

BASTARD: A STORY OF REDEMPTION(e-book fiction)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006OF3SD6

ONE MINUTE TO MIDNIGHT ON GOD'S CLOCK (Hard copy)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002X78D16

THINGS EVERY CHRISTIAN SHOULD KNOW (e-book)
Volume 1 Five tough facts to be faced
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YX5NSI

ONE MINUTE TO MIDNIGHT ON GOD'S CLOCK (e-book)
http://tatepublishing.com/bookstore/book.php?w=978-1-60799-630-9

Dr. Henderson Ward received his Doctor of Divinity in theology, with distinction, from Masters International School of Divinity, USA, where he is currently a post-doctoral fellow. Dr. Ward's career involved pastoring, evangelism, and teaching. Copyright 2017

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print