Something like the Wind
by Victoria Tkachuk

They stepped gingerly out the front door and onto the sidewalk. The day was formidable, threatening rain and overall unpleasant. She hadn't planned on being discouraged so quickly.

The air hung with humidity, damp on her skin. Worms hurriedly crawled across the sidewalk. Ants wrestled with crumbs of bread, heavy from moisture. Everybody on their way without hesitation, except her.

Drip. Oh, if it starts now, I won't get very far, she thinks. She looks at the sky; still grey, still dark, wind swirling the clouds. Drop. She looks to her companion. Amazingly, she's smiling.

"It's all right," the smiling woman says. It won't rain yet, I know it won't. You just do what you need to do."

What can I do? she thinks. A look down the long, wide sidewalk dwarfs her. She shivers from the cool, wet breeze. If I don't go now, I never will, she observes. A deep breath precedes a pause: What if I fall? What if she leaves me here? What if I can't do it on my own? She looks to the smiling woman once more. Is it really all right?

"I'll be here to help you. If you get away from me, I can catch up. Even if I can't catch you, you'll be fine. I'm sure of it. Just go."

Just then, something takes hold of her. Not the wind exactly, but something like it, wrapping its arms around her, then taking her hand away from Mom's and leading her down the sidewalk.

This was my first time walking on my own with Him.

If you reprint my article to a website, please e-mail me to let me know:  velcrotkachuk@gmail. I'm trying to keep track for my portfolio. Thanks!

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print