What does God want me to do in retirement?
by Janet Riley

There are so many skills and abilities I have used as a volunteer and as an employee over the years. I wanted to retire so that I would have more time to spend with God, among other things.

I thought of retirement as a time I would have to spend more time "being", instead of always "doing". So why do I immediately start making a list of activities to fill up my time?

Several years before I retired I did start meeting with a Life Coach to help me plan what volunteer and part time employment activities I would like to do. I am still in that planning process.

I also am talking to a counselor as I go through the transition period. I am exercising more and my stress level is going down.

I have been asking God what His priorities are for me.

1. His first is to spend more time with Him, on a consistent basis. When I am with Him, do not spend all the time in prayers of petitions or asking questions. I need to be still, and know that He is God. I need to spend time just being with Him. To focus on my eternal relationship with Him.

2. God does not measure my value by how busy I am doing "ministry" activities. I need to wait on Him and let Him show me which activities He wants me to be involved in.

3. God wants me to be in the present moment, not trying to figure out a roadmap for the rest of my life. He wants to guide me one step at a time, and wants me to be open to new adventures. If I plug up my life with too many scheduled activities, I will not have the time in the schedule for new directions He wants to take me in.

4. God wants me to be in the present moment with my friends, to listen, share with them, grieve with them and praise with them.

No sitting in a rocking chair for me. God still has plans and a purpose for my life.

(C) Janet Riley, 2014. I know God as a personal God who communicates with us, if we listen. I am starting on a Christian writing career and open to where God leads me. Please review my other articles at FaithWriters. I would like to hear from you. Please email at [email protected].

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print