Come to Jesus
by Toni Babcock

Jesus said, "Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest," (Matthew 11:28 KJV).

What is the rest that Jesus speaks of? It is rest for the sin sick, weary soul. It is rest from trying to please God on our own terms. It is rest that teaches us not to look to our own righteousness in order to justify ourselves before God. It is rest that acknowledges Jesus Christ is Lord, the perfect Son of God, our mighty Savior.

How was this rest accomplished? Through Jesus Christ who lived a life of perfect obedience to God the Father. He sacrificed His life on the cross of Calvary for our sins. He rose again from the dead, conquering sin and death on our behalf. Now He lives to indwell all who believe on Him, to give His people both the power and the will to please His heavenly Father (Philippians 2:13 KJV). Once we have turned to Christ away from sin, receiving His Spirit into our lives through faith, His righteousness becomes our righteousness, and we become the children of God.

Most often, the soul first comes to Jesus directly through prayer. Prayer is an expression of the faith we put in Christ and His word, demonstrating our willingness to confess His Name on earth, and to trust in Him alone. So now the question is - have you come to Jesus, and placed your faith in this mighty Savior? If not, today is the day.

Dear God, we have greatly sinned, but Christ is greater than our sin. Cleanse us from our unrighteousness. Take and fill us with your Holy Spirit and your power, so we might live a life that pleases you from this day forward. Amen.

Copyright Toni M. Babcock Revised 2015

Copyright 2022. Toni Babcock is author of Reflections from the Heart in Light of the Gospel of Jesus, and The Stone Writer, Christian Fiction for Young Readers and Teens. Many of her devotionals have been featured on www.faithwriters.com.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print