The Answer to Stress is Getting Your Life Right With the Lord
by Renee Root

Stress is a part of life. Stress may be caused by many things and here are things I consider to be stressful: your job because we are all working with people who have different personalities and agendas, illness, too many bills and not enough money and the loss of a loved one. I have experienced stress from all of the above at some point in my life.
There are several ways I deal with stress and I will share with you about how my pets can lower my blood pressure and put a smile on my face. I have these pets- Otis (dog who came into my life sometime after 2008), and Lucky (cat who was my mom's cat). I moved to a new town right after my mom died. I would have days where after work I would cry for hours. This is tough to believe-but my animals would take turns comforting me. It would start with Otis and me taking a long walk. Then, after we returned home Lucky would jump onto my lap and I would pet her until I was at peace. My doctor asked how I handled my stress and I told her and she felt my pets where better stress relievers than any drug she could prescribe.
So, when I have had an extremely stressful day-Otis and I walk for about 30 minutes. We just take our time looking at the beautiful things God has made and I start praising the Lord for everything he has done for me. Otis (my dog who actually came into my life sometime after 2008) takes his time sniffing to see who or what has walked this path before us. Then, that evening my cat comes and gets comfortable in my lap and I pet her and she purrs. This was important because it was how I handled stress after (until 2013 when I had a life changing event) Easter Sunday of 2008 because that was when I made the call to stop CPR and my mom went to be with the Lord. So, Otis and I have increased the number of walks we take each day and my cat has increased the time she allows me to pet her. This was not the total answer for dealing with my stress-I needed to be right with the Lord and serving him by helping others.
I was running from the Lord and I did not find total peace and so I tried to make up for the emptiness in my heart by working but one day my life changed in 2013 because I had an allergic reaction that led to a 911 emergency and then the Dr. gave me drugs that made the reaction worse and so left me with anxiety and cognitive damage and now I am on disability. I had no one to help me- my friends left me and my co-workers left me too. I had no family to help me. I had to go to agencies to ask for financial help and they always encouraged me to go to a local church and talk to a pastor. I know God used them to direct my steps because once I surrendered and went there-God used this pastor and church to get me back on the right path with the Lord.
When, I first went to this church and talked with this pastor-I had lost my ability to communicate and used notes to communicate. The first thing that pastor did was to tell me I needed to use words. Those words of wisdom were the first steps I needed to hear and put into practice. I soon was able to communicate again and then the focus shifted to getting my life right with the Lord. It was the Thursday before Easter (2014) that I made the decision to get baptized and make a fresh start with the Lord. Once I was at peace with the Lord I was able to start focusing on growing in the Lord and helping others.
So, I just want to share that the best answer to handling stress is to surrender your life to the Lord and serving others. Pets and exercise may also help-but the peace is having the Lord living in your heart and knowing that if the Lord calls you home-you will be at home with the Lord.

I am now a faithful Christian serving the Lord at Thursday Church in Vincennes, Indiana.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print