Most Would Think Twice
by PamFord Davis

Many women of the 1940's & 1950's were demure & refined. When dressing for afternoon tea, luncheons or church services they selected two piece suits or dresses below the knee; in many instances adding hats and white gloves. They completed the ensemble with matching shoes and purse. If attending formal events, many wore glamorous attire. Today, it seems many have cast aside refinement and glamor. Instead, they shamelessly dress in grotesque fashions. If they realized how hideous they appeared to others, most would think twice.

God looks upon the heart, not the fashion trends we chose to follow. Yet, he is concerned about choices we make and expects us to wear modest apparel. One of my spiritual mentors was Miss Bertha Smith; during World War II, she served as a Southern Baptist foreign missionary to China. I seem to recall her stating in one of her books that at one time she believed she should wear only plain and drab clothing. She did not want to call attention to herself. Later, Miss Bertha felt the freedom to wear more cheerful colors and prints. Miss Bertha was the epitome of a southern refined lady.

Concerning dress, both ladies and gentleman have Biblical guidelines to follow.

"Ascribe to the LORD the glory due His name; bring an offering, and come before Him; worship the LORD in holy array (1 Chronicles 16:29 NAS)." In my opinion, dresses, skirts, blouses and slacks are suitable when modest and becoming to the woman.

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print