Outside the Box
by PamFord Davis

God worked way outside the box on resurrection morning.

Before daybreak, faithful women began a mission of love. Laden with anointing spices, they expected to find a large stone as an insurmountable barrier between them and Jesus' body. The sight of His open tomb surprised them; the stone no longer blocked the grave. Upon entering, the women were shocked. Their Lord was gone.

Suddenly, two men in radiant clothing stood in their midst. In fear and awe, the women fell to the ground. The men then posed an intriguing question, "Why do you seek the living One among the dead (Luke 24:5b NAS)?"

Before answering him, the messenger [an angel] continued, "He is not here, but He has risen. Remember how He spoke to you while He was still in Galilee, saying that the Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again (Luke 24:6-7 NAS)."

But how? Pilate had Jesus executed by crucifixion and Roman soldiers guarded His sealed tomb. Three days had passed following His burial. Today, in study of this passage we need to recall the culture and traditions of that time in history

Prejudice against women was prevalent. God gave them the honor of being the first to hear that Jesus had risen. In addition, He gave them the privilege of being first to carry the message of His resurrection.

Matthew said, "And they departed quickly from the tomb with fear and great joy and ran to report it to his disciples (Matthew 28:8 NAS)."

Visualize these women lifting hemlines of their garments and breathlessly running to tell the disciples. Later, the Lord Himself affirms the angel's message as He appears before the women, saying, "Do not be afraid; go and take word to my brethren to leave for Galilee, and there they shall see me (Matthew 28: 10 NAS)"

Did the disciples wrap them in arms of love and share their joy? "And these words appeared to them as nonsense, and they would not believe them (Luke 24: 11 NAS)."

Seeing Jesus for 'themselves,' they came to believe.

God sent Jesus' birth announcement by angels to simple shepherds, spiritual outcasts.

Angels heralded the news of Jesus' resurrection to lowly women.

Jesus is coming again; trumpets will sound; He will appear in the heavens!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print