Winds of Change
by Alan Allegra

When I work on an article or devotional, I look up certain topics and search for ideas on the internet. When I looked up "Winds of change," I found dozens of songs, books, quotations, bands, albums, magazines, websites, and other relevant stuff. It was too overwhelming, so I think I'll just stick with the bible for this one!

When one speaks of "winds of change," the idea is that some overpowering power or trend is sweeping across the land, culture or society.

In the bible, the words for "wind" are, in Hebrew, "ruach," and, in Greek, "pneuma," meaning "breath," "spirit" or "wind," depending on the context.

As anyone who has weathered a storm can say, winds can be extremely powerful. To a property owner, they can be destructive. To a sailor, strong winds can be a blessing; it all depends on the context.

The Lord God has powerful breath, and I don't mean heavenly halitosis. It is compared to wind in many verses that display his power for giving and taking life. The breath of God even controls the weather: "By the breath of God ice is given, and the broad waters are frozen fast" (Job 37:10).

From the very beginning, the breath of God was life-giving: "By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, and by the breath of his mouth all their host" (Psalm 33:6). "Then the Lord God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature" (Genesis 2:7).

It is the breath of God that sustains us: "The Spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life" (Job 33:4).

The wind -- or breath -- of God changes death to life and life to death.

Just a puff from God restores life: "Then he said to me [speaking of the dry bones of Israel], 'Prophesy to the breath; prophesy, son of man, and say to the breath, Thus says the Lord God: Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe on these slain, that they may live'" (Ezekiel 37:9). The martyred prophets of the great tribulation have this hope: "But after the three and a half days a breath of life from God entered them, and they stood up on their feet, and great fear fell on those who saw them" (Revelation 11:11).

Not only does the breath of God give life, but it gives new life: "And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, 'Receive the Holy Spirit'" (John 20:22). This new life is found and sustained by the Word of God: "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness" (2 Timothy 3:16).

The power of God's judgement gives the term "blown away" new meaning: "As I have seen, those who plow iniquity and sow trouble reap the same. By the breath of God they perish, and by the blast of his anger they are consumed" (Job 4:8-9). "And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will kill with the breath of his mouth and bring to nothing by the appearance of his coming" (2 Thessalonians 2:8).

Just like a powerful wind, the breath of God can bring misery or momentum. If you ignore the Word of God that gives life, the wind of God brings condemnation. When you listen to the bible and place your faith in Jesus as your shelter (Isaiah 25:4; John 3:8), the wind of his spirit -- the wind of change -- will save you and propel you through life on a straight course.

The winds of change blow in your heart and conscience. Trying to silence them is useless. As a wise mariner once said, "Don't try to change the wind -- change the sails."

Alan is editor of Lifestyles Over 50 (Thrive Media) and contributor to the Allentown, PA, Morning Call. He is also an adult Sunday school teacher and Bible study leader. Passionate about reviving theology and church methodology, and being a senior citizen!

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print