The Sandwich Generation
by PamFord Davis

With Mother's Day rapidly approaching, I searched for a recollection to share about my Mom, Betty Ferris Ford. This is not a humorous or sentimental story; instead, it highlights a time when she bore a heavy burden. Mom came from a family of four children-two girls & two boys. At this critical time, she was the mother of her own five. [Four daughters & the youngest, a son]

My oldest sister had married, leaving an older sister, my younger sister, and little brother. I was sandwiched in the middle. Mom did not work outside the home; the raising of her children was her work.

Long before the term 'sandwich generation' became a catch phrase, Mom learned how difficult that position could be. My grandparents were in poor health and called upon her to come and help at their home. I believe she made a commitment to go one day a week for housework and meal preparation. She was still away when we returned from school. We adjusted to that routine.

Mom's turmoil surfaced when Grandma and Grandpa began to make more & more demands on her time. She felt guilty for not doing all they were asking of her. In addition, she was concerned about time apart from us, her children. That dilemma was overwhelming. She could not bear that burden alone. In desperation, she turned to a church minister. He helped Mom to cope in a crisis.

I don't recall the details of what ensued but believe her siblings took on more responsibility. Mom heeded the godly counsel of the minister who said, her first priority was at home. She was honoring her parents through helping as much as she could. Mom was at the breaking point and I am grateful that she found peace.

"Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ (Galatians 6:2 NKJ)."

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print