Is God calling you to be a prophet?
by Mark E Crossley

The Free Dictionary.Com defines prophesy as:
"To reveal the will or message of God / to predict the future as if by divine inspiration" Is this kind of gift you want or wish to develop from God Almighty?

We need to understand and confirm to our spirits that God uses ordinary people in the bible that were hungry for him and gave them the gift of prophesy. If you read the scriptures that go alongside these biblical characters you can see this for yourself.

o Abraham was a prophet (Gen. 20:7)
o Moses was a prophet (Deut. 34:10)
o John the Baptist was a prophet (Mt. 11:4)
o Jesus was a prophet (Mt. 21:11)
o Miriam (Exodus:. 15:20)

There are two scriptures below I feel you should read, the first one will encourage your spirits and the second one is how practically one can interpret and live out prophesy as Ezekiel did in the scripture.

As you read this is this the kind of thing you would like to see in your streets and towns today? Does this scripture bless your heart as you read those words?

1 Samuel 10:5-7 "After that you will go to Gibeah of God, where there is a Philistine outpost. As you approach the town, you will meet a procession of prophets coming down from the high place with lyres, tambourines, flutes and harps being played before them, and they will be prophesying. The Spirit of the LORD will come upon you in power, and you will prophesy with them; and you will be changed into a different person. Once these signs are fulfilled, do whatever your hand finds to do, for God is with you".

As I am writing this article on Sunday 22nd July 2007 at 12.20 typing these words of scripture I am listening to www.ucb.co.uk on inspirational they played a song and scripture based around Ezekiel 37. Perhaps this is meant to be and a scripture at the time of completion that will encourage someone reading this.

We now read about "The Valley of Dry Bones" in Ezekiel 37 v 1 14. This is a great story of how to practically prophesy, listen to God and see him do what HE said he would.

Ask: "He led me back and forth among them, and I saw a great many bones on the floor of the valley, bones that were very dry. He asked me, "Son of man, can these bones live?"
Prophesy: "Then he said to me, "Prophesy to these bones and say to them, 'Dry bones, hear the word of the LORD"
Obey: "So I prophesied as I was commanded. And as I was prophesying, there was a noise, a rattling sound, and the bones came together, bone to bone"
Nothing happened: "I looked, and tendons and flesh appeared on them and skin covered them, but there was no breath in them"
Prophesy Specific Request: "Then he said to me, "Prophesy to the breath; prophesy, son of man, and say to it, 'this is what the Sovereign LORD says: Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe into these slain, that they may live"
Results happened after listening to God "So I prophesied as he commanded me, and breath entered them; they came to life and stood up on their feeta vast army.
Friends as you think about the gift of prophesy or in another area of your life have as verse 11 says "Our bones are dried up and our hope is gone; we are cut off". Is that you today?

Do you have the determination to pray and keep asking God to prophesy things to you for your own life, to pray with a close friend to test your accuracy before you move into the wider church?

How often do you Pray to God and ask Him who HE wants you to speak into the lives of and what specifically to share with that person, do you ask for confirmation that this is not your will but Gods for their life and pray again for before you share?.

Do you believe that where there has been dry land that the Lord will put my Spirit in you and you will live, and I will settle you in your own land? Then you will know that I the LORD have spoken, and I have done it, declares the LORD as it concludes in Ezekiel.

There are other scriptures you can read to encourage you in the area of prophesy which are:

1 Samuel 10:9-11; Ezekiel 21:8-10; 1 Corinthians 13:8-10; 1 Corinthians 14:4-6; 1 Corinthians 14:38-40; 1 Corinthians 14:23-25 & Romans 12:5-7.

What does the bible have to say about false prophets?

1. Jeremiah 5:30-31 "A horrible and shocking thing has happened in the land: The prophets prophesy lies, the priests rule by their own authority, and my people love it this way. But what will you do in the end?"

2. Jeremiah 14:13-15 "But I said, "Ah, Sovereign LORD, the prophets keep telling them, 'You will not see the sword or suffer famine. Indeed, I will give you lasting peace in this place.' "Then the LORD said to me, "The prophets are prophesying lies in my name. I have not sent them or appointed them or spoken to them. They are prophesying to you false visions, divinations, idolatries [a] and the delusions of their own minds. Therefore, this is what the LORD says about the prophets who are prophesying in my name: I did not send them, yet they are saying, 'No sword or famine will touch this land.' Those same prophets will perish by sword and famine.

3. Jeremiah 23:31-33 "31 Yes," declares the LORD, "I am against the prophets who wag their own tongues and yet declare, 'The LORD declares.' 32 Indeed, I am against those who prophesy false dreams," declares the LORD. "They tell them and lead my people astray with their reckless lies, yet I did not send or appoint them. They do not benefit these people in the least," declares the LORD.

Whilst we need to take the bible seriously, we should never take anything that anyone tells us as Gospel as sometimes as I have found people want to use their will for our lives and claim this as the will of the Lord so be careful of false prophets.

Therefore we need to be cautious, discern what they are saying and if it uplifts & encourages our spirit or it feels right things will come to pass if it is of the Lord.

Lord Jesus, I pray that you would use this article on faith writers to raise up a fresh generation of genuine people who you have given a prophetic gift to that they will be accurate, anointed, have your authority to prophesy into other people's lives.

I pray you will increase faith in this area for people to step out, to be bold, to challenge and to speak where one has not before because it is the Lord working in and through me & others through the gift of prophesy will do this to edify the church.

I pray you will give them God given appointments, skills; words to say at the right time and place somehow your presence will touch people to be a blessing towards others. Lord as they pray in humility and in the quietness of their hearts you will feel your touch upon their lives in order to speak truth, a hope and a future that will bless the kingdom of God.

Where doubt & despair comes we know that if we are connected to you even in adversity in time your will can be done through circumstances and things not may be immediate but things may take time to come to pass and never loose sight of you speaking through others to see that vision come to pass. Amen.



If you have any comments, queries or suggestions regarding this article please do not hesitate to contact me by email at 
[email protected]. Thank You.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print