How God Relates With Names
by Ngozi Nwoke

You are your name and it affects how people and spiritual beings relate to you, including God Almighty. God honours your names and relates to you accordingly too. It calls for examination of your names. This article explains the relationship God has with names.

So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them - Genesis 1:27 (NKJV)

Out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them. And whatever Adam called each living creature, that was its name - Genesis 2:19 (NKJV)

And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins - Matthew 1:21 (NKJV)

Man was created in the image of God, having the will and power to choose and make decisions, and God honours our will. This is why He will never force you to receive Christ as your saviour (Revelations 3:20), though by His Spirit He will give you opportunities to make the right choice, which is to choose Jesus.

Therefore, whatever name you give a thing or person is what he will be called. For instance, God brought all animals to Adam for him to name them, and whatever Adam called each animal, that was its name - Genesis 2:19. God respects your choices.

However, the meanings of these names influence how God relates to the individuals. A name defines you. It is a description of your personality and it interprets your traits. It can be a statement, giving a glimpse to your future or a prayer that you should live up to the potential expressed in the name.

JESUS

When Jesus was to be born, God specifically gave the name he was to be called because His name was to agree with what God was going to use Him to do. He was called Jesus (savior) because God was going to use Him to save people from their sins - Matthew 1:21. And He lived up to His name; He died and men are being saved - Romans 5:6-9

JOHN THE BAPTIST

Also, God named the son of Zacharias and Elizabeth John (God is favourable) because God was going to favour them greatly. They were going to have joy and gladness and many were to rejoice at his birth. John was to be great before the Lord and was to go before God in the spirit and power of Elijah - Luke 1:13-17. He was the forerunner of Jesus Christ and the person who baptized Christ.

Interestingly, considering the names of the sons of Jacob (Israel), the relationship God had with them individually had something to do with their names. Let's look at three of them.

LEVI

Levi means companion. This name was giving by Leah, the wife of Jacob and the mother of the baby.

She gave him this name because when she conceived again and bore a son, she said, "Now this time my husband will become attached to me, because I have borne him three sons." - Genesis 29:34, (NKJV). However, when God was looking for the tribe to be the priests in Israel, He chose Levi (companion). The Levites became God's companions in spiritual activities.

JUDAH

Judah was the fourth son of Leah and the name means praise. She named him Judah because she said, "Now will I praise the Lord!" - Genesis 29:35 (NKJV). Now, the scripture records in Psalm 114:1-2, that when Israel left Egypt, Judah became God's sanctuary (the Holy Place of His habitation, AMP) and Psalm 22:3 says that God inhabits the praises of Israel. God dwells in praises of people and Judah meaning praise was a perfect candidate for God's sanctuary.

Also, when the children of Israel asked God who was to go up and fight the Canaanites first. The Lord said that Judah was to go up first and that He had delivered the land into his hand - Judges 1:1-2. God chose Praise to go up first; God delivers victory in the hands of praise. The walls of Jericho fell as the trumpets sounded and children of Israel shouted unto the Lord - Judges 6:20. Furthermore, Paul and Silas prayed and sang unto the Lord and the foundations of the prison were shaken; and immediately all the doors were opened and the prisoners' chains were broken - Acts 16:25-26. Praise secures triumph.

In addition, when the Messiah was to come, He came through the tribe of Judah (Praise) - Matthew 1:1-16. Truly, your name has an influence on how God operates with you.

JOSEPH

Joseph was the first child of Rachel after a long time of barrenness and it means "May Jehovah add". Rachel called him Joseph and said, "The Lord shall add to me another son." - Genesis 30:24, (NKJV). And surely according to that name, God gave her a second son called Benjamin - Genesis 35:16-18. The name "Joseph" was a prayer that he should live up to the potential expressed in the name, and he lived to have a brother.

The names of the sons of Jacob were all given by their mothers according to the circumstances surrounding their birth and they bore those names except for Ben-oni (son of my sorrow) whom Jacob called Benjamin (son of the right hand). However, God respected those names and related with them accordingly.

How do you want God to relate with you or your children? Your name or their names will give you a clue to how God is presently operating in and with you and them. The choice is yours. Make your choice today and God will respect it.

Ngozi Nwoke is a teacher, speaker, counselor and author of "Peace Money Can't Buy" and "The Man Jesus: What You Need to Know About Christ". She has a passion to teach people how to enjoy peace, God's love, and Christian living for a more fulfilling life. Want a more fulfilling life? 

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print