Some Comments on Mike Bickle's End-Time Teaching, Part 1 (of 7 Parts)
by Karl Kemp

All quotations in this paper were taken from the New American Standard Bible, 1995 edition, unless otherwise noted. Sometimes I make comments in the middle of quotations using brackets [ ] or [[ ]] to make them more obvious. I am using straight quotation marks ("), hyphens (-) instead of dashes, no footnotes, and a few other things like this because some of the internet sites where I post these articles require it. Cf., e.g., means "compare, for example."

CONTENTS:

Some Background Information...... page 1 (These page numbers go with the original paper, before it was broken up into seven parts to post on several internet sites.)
The Primary Reason I Am Writing this Paper...... 3
Daniel 9:27...... 3
Daniel 12:11...... 4
Image of the Beast (Antichrist) ...... 5
Zechariah 11:8...... 5
Revelation 11:1-3...... 7
Revelation 12:5...... 8, 17
Revelation 2:26, 27...... 18
Isaiah 66:7, 8...... 19
Matthew 24:15, 21, 22, 29-31...... 20
Intense Warfare of the Short Great Tribulation...... 21
Revelation 9:13-21...... 22
Joel 2:30, 31...... 26
Daniel 11:40-45...... 27
Matthew 24:29-31...... 30
Revelation 12:4a, 7-10...... 31
Revelation 11:15-17...... 32
Revelation 3:10...... 35
Revelation 14:9-11...... 37
Luke 21:34-36...... 39
The Seven Seals of the Book of Revelation...... 41
Revelation chapter 7...... 49
Daniel 12:1, 2, 5-7...... 50
Daniel 10:4-6...... 55
Revelation 1:10-20...... 55 

SOME BACKGROUND INFORMATION. I got to know Mike when he was on staff at New Covenant Fellowship in St. Louis in the late 70s. I was doing quite a bit of teaching at that church at that time. Mike invited me to teach at some of the groups he was leading. I was impressed with Mike. He was a zealous, young Christian, in his early 20s. He was one of the most zealous, Bible centered, young Christians I have ever known, if not the most zealous. He would invite me into his office, and we would go through passages of the book of Romans for a couple of hours; he would take copious notes. The primary topic was basic Biblical Christianity, with an emphasis on holiness and victory over sin. Mike also took a 12 month Greek class with me. We were using the Greek text that I used in seminary (Machen's "New Testament Greek for Beginners").

Mike heard quite a bit of my teaching on the mid-week rapture, but I don't believe he ever fully agreed with me on that topic. I remember that he was listening to large numbers of Chuck Smith's tapes on the end times in those days. Chuck Smith was strong on the pre-week (pre-Daniel's 70th week) rapture.

Mike was quite mature for his age. He was married, and he owned two houses. He used one of the houses, a large house, to provide a place for young men to live where at least some of them could be ministered to as required. He took responsibility to take care (in his home) of his quadriplegic brother, Pat, who had been injured playing high school football. As I understand it, Mike made the decision to quit playing football at Mizzou to take care of his younger brother.

I have only seen Mike once since he left St. Louis in the early 80s to go back to Kansas City, where he had grown up. He started a church there and then IHOPKC (International House of Prayer - Kansas City), where for one thing, they have had twenty-four hour a day prayer and worship for more than ten years. Many years ago I learned that Mike was teaching the end-of-the-week rapture through a video on the IHOPKC site. I don't know when he started teaching that viewpoint, or how he became convinced of that viewpoint. I contacted Mike and said I would like to discuss these things with him. He was going to set up a time but some things came up that he had to deal with and we never did get together. He keeps very busy.

To prepare to write this paper I read the book, "Book of Revelation with Notes by Mike Bickle" (published by Forerunner Books of IHOPKC, March, 2009). The book is 141 pages including the chronological charts on the last two pages. I could write most of the content of this paper by interacting with the first chart, which is titled, "Overview of Key End Time Events" and is published by IHOP-KC Mission Base. The second chart is titled, "Jesus' Battle Plan in the Book of Revelation." When I put the first title in Google it takes me to both of these charts. I suggest you download and print them before you read any more of this paper. To prepare to write this paper I also read at least twenty of Mike's articles on the IHOPKC site and watched videos of quite a few of his teachings. Most of the teaching was on key passages from the book of Daniel and the book of Revelation. Many other articles by Mike (and many other videos) on the end times and other topics are available on the IHOPKC site.

I appreciate the fact that Mike exhorts the people at IHOPKC to respect Christians who don't agree with his end-time teaching and he tries to promote unity in the Body of Christ. That is very important! However, they don't permit teaching at IHOPKC that doesn't line up with the core convictions of the leadership team, which includes the return of the Lord Jesus and the rapture at the end of the seven years. (See Mike's 2014 "Studies in the Book of Revelation - Session 2, The Varying Importance of End-Time Beliefs," page 8.)

THE PRIMARY REASON I AM WRITING THIS PAPER is because I believe Mike is wrong in teaching that the Lord Jesus will not return until the end of the seven years and some other very important details regarding the end times. I want to deal with several key passages that I believe he is misunderstanding. I am totally sure that Mike wants to teach the balanced truth of what the Bible teaches. I plan to send a copy of this paper to Mike and see if he has any response before I publish it on my internet site and on a few other Christian article sites. I want to be corrected where correction is required.

I am sure that Mike is right in saying that the Lord Jesus and the rapture will take place at the sounding of the seventh and last trumpet, but I am equally sure he is wrong in saying that that trumpet will sound at the end of the seven years. The evidence is quite strong that it will sound right in the middle of the seven years. His wrong interpretation (clearly wrong from my point of view) of Rev. 11:1-3 strongly lends itself to misinterpreting when the seventh and last trumpet will sound. (And we will discuss several other passages of key importance in this paper.) For one thing, Rev. 11:2 and 3 both mention the equivalent of three and one-half years. I'll quote Rev. 11:1-3 and we will discuss these verses after we discuss Dan. 9:27 and 12:11 (and several related verses) that will enable us to understand the seven-year period that is sometimes called Daniel's 70th week.

DANIEL 9:27 (I'll quote this verse as we continue) is the only verse in the Bible that speaks of that super-important seven-year period, but it is very significant that we read of half of that seven-year period (the equivalent of three and one-half years) in Dan. 7:25 and 12:7 and in five verses in the book of Revelation (11:2, 3; 12:6, 14; and 13:5). Daniel 12:11, which is a very important verse that we will discuss after two more paragraphs, mentions 1,290 days, which is the equivalent of three and one-half years plus 30 days. The expressions used in the Bible for the three and one-half year periods are a time, times, and half a time (a year, two years, and half a year); forty-two months; and 1,260 days (42 months times 30 days per month).

Mike believes (and many agree with him) that all seven of these verses refer to the second half of Daniel's 70th week. (See page 14 of his 2014 "Studies in the Book of Revelation - Session 8, Prophetic Ministry in the End Times [Rev. 10-11].") It has always seemed clear to me that the three and one-half years of Rev. 11:2 and 3 refer to the first half of the seven-year period; the evidence is very strong. THIS MAKES A GIGANTIC DIFFERENCE IN THE INTERPRETATION OF REVELATION CHAPTERS 11-13, WHICH IS OF KEY IMPORTANCE. For one thing, the seventh and last trumpet sounds in Rev. 11:15, right in the middle of the seven-year period. (Mike agrees that the seventh trumpet sounds in Rev. 11:15, but there are gigantic differences in our understanding of the details of Revelation chapters 11-13, and other parts of the book of Revelation. For one thing, as I mentioned, Mike believes that the seventh trumpet will sound at the end of the seven years.)

I'll quote DANIEL 9:27 and make a few comments in brackets: "And he [Antichrist] will make a firm covenant [or, he will confirm (make strong) a covenant/treaty] with the many [Israel will be involved] for one week [a week of years; a seven-year period; for more details see Dan. 9:24-27 (these verses are discussed in my book, "The Mid-Week Rapture," in the chapter on Daniel chapter 9)], but in the middle of the week he will put a stop to sacrifice and grain offering; and on the wing of abominations will come one [referring to Antichrist and his abomination of desolation] who makes desolate, even until a complete destruction, one that is decreed [by God] is poured out on the one who makes desolate [referring to Antichrist]."

I'll quote DANIEL 12:11 ((This is one of the most important verses we will discuss in this paper. I don't believe we can adequately understand the details of Daniel's 70th week unless we rightly interpret this verse. I don't believe Mike rightly interprets it, but most agree with him; the majority is often wrong. I'll quote from the NASB, which I always use unless I mention otherwise.)): "From the time that the regular sacrifice is abolished and the abomination of desolation is set up [I would translate "is initiated" or the equivalent (see pages 183, 184 of my "The Mid-Week Rapture"); we will discuss the image of the beast as we continue.], there will be 1,290 days." Our primary purpose here is to discuss the 1,290 days. This verse is of crucial significance in that it shows that the abomination will take place a month before the more precise middle of Daniel's 70th week. As we will discuss, Dan. 12:11 (and other significant considerations) demonstrate that the words "in the middle of the week" of Dan. 9:27 speak of the approximate middle of the seven-year period. Antichrist's abomination of desolation will consist of his going into the (rebuilt) temple in Jerusalem, putting a stop to sacrifice and grain offering, AND demanding that he be worshiped (cf., e.g., Dan. 9:27; 11:36, 37; Matt. 24:15; and 2 Thess. 2:3, 4).

Antichrist's abomination of desolation has nothing to do with the image of the beast of Rev. 13:14, 15. (Mike, in agreement with many, teaches that the image is a key feature in the abomination of desolation. I'll quote a sentence from his "Studies in the End times [2007] - Session 13, Abomination of Desolation: Primary Sign of the Tribulation," page 1. "The abomination will center around an image [statue] of the Antichrist standing in the holy place in the Jerusalem Temple [to be rebuilt].") For one thing, the false prophet will not have the image of the beast (the beast is Antichrist) made until the second half of Daniel's 70th week, AFTER the abomination of desolation (which will take place a month before the mid-week return of the Lord Jesus and the rapture), and after Antichrist has been killed and come back from the dead.

The image will commemorate the fact that Antichrist has come back from the dead (Rev. 13:12, 14; cf. 13:3; 17:8 with 11:7). Antichrist will apparently be killed during the very intense warfare of the short great tribulation of Matt. 24:21, 22, which will take place AFTER the abomination of desolation of Matt. 24:15. And it is clear, I believe, that he will come back from the dead (he will come up out of the abyss [Rev. 11:7]) AFTER the abomination of desolation and in time to kill the two witnesses whose bodies will lay dead in Jerusalem for three and one-half days before they come back to life and are raptured before the watching world right in the middle of the seven years. (It is very unlikely that Antichrist will be killed before the abomination or that much time will pass between the time he comes back from the dead and kills the two witnesses.) As I mentioned, Dan. 12:11 enables us to see that the abomination of desolation will take place a month before the return of the Lord Jesus and the rapture.

We will discuss these things in more detail as we continue, and they are discussed in some detail in my paperback book, "The Mid-Week Rapture," and my recently published e-book, "Introduction to the Mid-Week Rapture." The paperback book contains more information, but the e-book should typically be read first; for one thing it is easier to read and it deals more directly with the timing of the return of the Lord Jesus and the rapture. Both books are available at amazon.com, and the paperback book is available on my internet site [Google to Karl Kemp Teaching]. Also, quite a few of my papers dealing with the end times are available on my internet site.

((ZECHARIAH 11:8 serves as a rather strong confirmation of a one-month period that will take place before Antichrist begins his three and one-half year super-evil reign right in the middle of the seven years. Antichrist cannot begin this super-evil reign until he has been killed and come back from the dead. (As I mentioned, we know that he will come back from the dead in time to kill the two witnesses three and one-half days before the mid-week rapture [Rev. 11:8-13]). And there is another very significant thing that must take place before Antichrist begins his three and one-half year super-evil reign: The devil must give him "his power, his throne, and great authority" (Rev. 13:2) right after the devil is cast down to the earth at the time the Lord Jesus returns in the middle of the seven years (Rev. 12:7-9).

Zechariah 11:8 prophesies of God's judging and "annihilating the three shepherds [three rulers] IN ONE MONTH [my emphasis]." I believe this refers to the same event that Daniel prophesied in Dan. 7:8, 20, where Antichrist uproots THREE of the ten horns. He undoubtedly will kill (or have killed) three of the ten rulers because they are not in agreement with him and his plans. During that one-month period after the abomination of desolation and before the rapture would be the perfect time for him to deal with the three rulers, shortly before he begins his super-evil three and one-half year reign (cf. Dan. 7:25; Rev. 13:5). The TEN rulers (horns) are mentioned in the book of Revelation, so the three rulers will be replaced by rulers who fully support Antichrist. Zechariah chapter 11 is discussed verse-by-verse in chapter 14 of my "The Mid-Week Rapture." It is interesting and important that Zech. 11:15-17 prophesy about Antichrist.))

The desolation that will take place after Antichrist enters the temple and is manifested as Antichrist will not come to an end until the Lord Jesus terminates him (and the false prophet) right at the end of the seven years (see Rev. 19:20; Dan. 7:11). BY COUNTING BACKWARDS 1,290 DAYS FROM THE END OF THE SEVEN YEARS, WE CAN SEE THAT THE ABOMINATION WILL TAKE PLACE SOME 30 DAYS, A MONTH, BEFORE THE MIDDLE OF THE SEVEN YEARS. (As I mentioned, half of the seven-year period is 1,260 days.) THIS IS SUPER-IMPORTANT INFORMATION. For one thing, it enables us to rightly interpret MATTHEW CHAPTER 24. The information that the abomination of desolation will take place a month before the middle of the seven years leaves time for the short great tribulation (Matt. 24:21, 22) before the return of the Lord Jesus and the rapture in the middle of Daniel's 70th week (Matt. 24:29-31). When we discuss the key passages that speak of the warfare of the short great tribulation (especially the warfare of the sixth trumpet) it will be obvious that this warfare can easily be completed within a one-month period.

As I mentioned, I believe Dan. 9:27 speaks of the middle of the seven years in approximate terms and that Dan. 12:11 shows that that in more precise terms Antichrist will go into the temple a month before the more precise middle. This interpretation is totally reasonable because the Hebrew noun ("chatsi") that is translated middle in Dan. 9:27 is frequently used in very imprecise ways in the Old Testament. For example, in Ex. 12:29; Jud. 16:3; and Ruth 3:8 chatsi is used of things happening in the middle of the night. That is very imprecise terminology! And In Psalm 102:24 the psalmist prays that he may not be taken away (by death) in the midst [chatsi] of his days (also see Jer. 17:11). Again, it is obvious that a precise middle was not intended in these two verses. It is very reasonable to say that Antichrist will go into the temple, etc. in the approximate middle, a month before the more precise middle. A month before the more precise middle is 2.38 percent removed from the more precise middle. If we don't get this detail right, I don't believe we can adequately understand many end-time details, very much including the short great tribulation of Matt. 24:21, 22.

Mike takes the middle of Dan. 9:27 to be the precise middle, so he starts counting the 1,290 days in the middle and assumes that they extend beyond the end of the seven years by 30 days. Most agree with Mike on that viewpoint, but I am sure it is wrong. But Mike also teaches that the seven bowls of wrath will be poured out during those 30 days, AFTER the Lord Jesus returns at the end of the seven years and the rapture takes place. (See his chronological chart that I mentioned.) I don't remember ever seeing that viewpoint before, but I haven't researched that topic.

Now we will discuss REVELATION 11:1-3 and some important cross-references for several pages; then we will discuss REVELATION 12:5, which is a verse of key importance (it is the most important verse in the Bible to show that the Lord Jesus will return and the rapture will take place right in the middle of Daniel's 70th week); and then (after some ten pages) we will discuss some key verses from MATTHEW CHAPTER 24. Revelation chapters 11-13 and these key verses from Matthew chapter 24 are discussed verse-by-verse in my recently published e-book, "Introduction to the Mid-Week Rapture" and in my paperback book, "The Mid-Week Rapture." Revelation 12:5 is discussed in detail in both books, but especially in the paperback book. The e-book should be read first; for one thing, it is easier to read, but the paperback book contains much more information. Both books are available at amazon.com.

REVELATION 11:1-3 (I remind the reader that I use the NASB unless I mention otherwise.): "Then there was given to me a measuring rod like a staff; and someone said, 'Get up and measure the temple of God and the altar, and those who worship in it. [[(This double bracket goes on for five paragraphs.) The "altar" refers to the sacrificial altar, on which the Jews will be offering sacrifices during part of the first half of Daniel's 70th week. They will not be worshiping in the temple after Antichrist's abomination of desolation, which will take place in the approximate middle (a month before the more precise middle) of the seven years (see Dan. 9:27; 12:11), SO, THE WORSHIP PICTURED HERE WILL BE LIMITED TO THE FIRST HALF OF THE SEVEN-YEAR PERIOD, BEFORE THE ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION. It is possible that the temple could be built and functioning before Daniel's 70th week begins, but that seems unlikely.

THERE IS EVERY REASON TO BELIEVE THAT WHAT 11:2 GOES ON TO SAY ABOUT THE COURT OUTSIDE THE TEMPLE BEING GIVEN TO THE NATIONS/GENTILES WILL TAKE PLACE DURING THE SAME PERIOD OF TIME THAT THE JEWS ARE WORSHIPING IN THE TEMPLE (11:1). It seems equally clear to me that the ministry of the two witnesses (prophets) of 11:3 will take place throughout the first half of the seven years too. They will be warning mankind worldwide, and with a special ministry to Israel, of the need to repent in that the Lord Jesus will return very soon and the day of judgment will begin. He will return right in the middle of Daniel's 70th week. ((In endnote 3 on page 305 of my "The Mid-Week Rapture" I listed several commentators who hold this viewpoint. I'll add part of a sentence from the "Expositor's Greek Commentary," Vol. 12, "Revelation" by Alan F. Johnson, page 502: "Glasson [T. F., "Revelation of John," 1965], following the early fathers, Victorinus, Hippolytus, and Augustine, suggests that the first three and one-half years is the period of the preaching of the two witnesses....")) Everything that follows 11:1 up until the seventh and last trumpet sounds in 11:15-17 deal with things that will take place in the first half of Daniel's 70th week, or right in the middle of the seven years.

The things spoken of in Rev. 12:1-4 will also take place before the middle of the seven years, and the super-important things spoken of in 12:5 will take place right in the middle of the seven years. REVELATION 12:5, which we will discuss later in this paper, is a verse of extreme importance; it deals with the resurrection, glorification, and rapture of all the true believers who have ever lived on the earth up until that time, apparently including all the believers from the days of the Old Testament. IT IS VERY SIGNIFICANT THAT REV. 12:6 CONFIRMS THAT THE EVENTS OF 12:5 WILL TAKE PLACE RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEVEN YEARS: It shows that there will be three and one-half years to go after the glorious events of 12:5. As I mentioned, Revelation chapters 11-13 are discussed verse-by-verse in both of my books on the end times.

Revelation 11:1 confirms what we already knew from many passages that were written before the super-important book of Revelation was written (about AD 95), that the temple must be rebuilt in Jerusalem in the last days. For one thing, the temple has to be there and functioning so Antichrist can enter the temple, stop the sacrifices and offerings, and demand that he be worshiped (cf., e.g., Isaiah 66:1-6 [Isaiah 66:1-8 are discussed verse-by-verse in chapter 16 of "The Mid-Week Rapture."]; Dan. 9:27; 12:11; Matt. 24:15; and 2 Thess. 2:3, 4). The Jews will apparently receive permission to rebuild the temple from at least much of the world through the seven-year treaty/covenant of Dan. 9:27. That same treaty/covenant will undoubtedly require Israel to give the Palestinians much of what they want (assuming that the Lord Jesus is going to return soon), and it is significant that Rev. 11:2 shows that Israel will give up their control of Jerusalem, old Jerusalem, east Jerusalem, that part of Jerusalem which contains the temple mount for one thing. THEY WILL NOT EVEN HAVE AUTHORITY OVER THE COURT OUTSIDE THE TEMPLE (Rev. 11:2) WHILE THEY ARE WORSHIPING IN THE TEMPLE (Rev. 11:1).

If the Jews don't start rebuilding the temple until the seven-year treaty/covenant is ratified (which seems likely), the temple clearly will not be functioning throughout all of the first half of Daniel's 70th week, but they will probably begin to offer sacrifices on the altar as soon as they can (cf. Ezra 3:1-6). As I mentioned, Rev. 11:1 confirms that the Jews will be worshiping in the temple during part of the first half of the seven years. We know that Antichrist's abomination of desolation will take place in the approximate middle of the seven years (Dan. 9:27; 12:11). As we have discussed, it is extremely important to see that Dan. 12:11 enables us to see that the abomination of desolation will take place a month before the more precise middle of the seven years.]] (2) Leave out the court which is outside the temple and do not measure it [[(See under verse 1; this double bracket goes on for three paragraphs.) At the very time the Jews will be worshiping in the temple (during the first half of the seven years, but before Antichrist's abomination of desolation), the nations/Gentiles will even control (have authority over) the court which is outside the temple, and as this verse goes on to say, they will control the city of Jerusalem. Perhaps Jerusalem will take on the status of being an international city. The United Nations originally had plans to make Jerusalem an international city, a city of the Jews, Christians, Islam, etc.

The Jews will rebuild the temple. It will be built on the temple mount, which will apparently be shared by the two Islamic mosques that are on the temple mount now. The temple will probably be built about 330 feet (a hundred meters) northwest of the Dome of the Rock, which has the golden dome. This verse makes it clear that Israel will not control the court outside the temple. I assume that it will be demonstrated to the satisfaction of most people that Solomon's temple and the temple built after the return of some of the Jews from the Babylonian captivity were located about 330 feet northwest of the Dome of the Rock.

I am basing this on the work of Asher S. Kaufman. His work has not been accepted by the majority, and some experts on this topic totally reject his conclusions, but I assume his work will eventually be accepted. The majority view at the present time is that the original temple(s) were located where the Dome of the Rock is located now. Dr. Kaufman is still working on this project, as you can see by entering his name in Google. His early article is rather persuasive, "Where the Ancient Temple of Jerusalem Stood" in the March/April, 1983 issue of "Biblical Archeology Review," pages 41-61. In 2004 he published a book, "The Temple Mount: Where is the Holy of Holies?" I have ordered the book from Israel ($67.50), but I won't receive the book until after I finish this paper. (Now, having been able to read through the book, I am quite confident that Asher Karufman's viewpoint is correct.)]], for it has been given to the nations [or we could translate "the Gentiles" with the NIV, KJV, and NKJV]; and they will tread under foot the holy city [Jerusalem] for forty-two months. [[(This double bracket goes on for seventeen paragraphs.) THESE "FORTY-TWO MONTHS" REFER TO THE FIRST HALF OF THE SEVEN-YEAR PERIOD WHEN ISRAEL WILL BE WORSHIPING IN THE REBUILT TEMPLE WITH THE SACRIFICIAL ALTAR. They will not be worshiping in the temple throughout all forty-two months, but through a substantial part of this period. They clearly will not be worshiping in the temple after Antichrist's abomination of desolation, which will take place a month before the end of the first half of Daniel's 70th week. And Israel will not be worshiping in the temple with sacrificial offerings, etc. at all in the second half of the seven-year period.

The nations/Gentiles will "tread under foot the holy city [Jerusalem]." Israel will not control Jerusalem. The words "tread under foot" undoubtedly build on the words "and Jerusalem will be trampled under foot by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled" of Luke 21:24b. The same Greek verb, "pateo," is used for "tread under foot" in Rev. 11:2 and "trampled under foot" in Luke 21:24b. (Luke 21:20-24 are quoted and discussed in "The Mid-Week Rapture" under Rev. 11:1, 2.) "The times of the Gentiles [nations]" (Luke 21:24) will not come to an end until the Lord Jesus returns to the earth in the middle of Daniel's 70th week to make things right.

We will continue this discussion in Part 2 of this paper.

Copyright by Karl Kemp

http://www.karlkempteachingministries.com Karl Kemp worked as an engineer in the space field throughout the 60s. He became a born-again Christian in 1964. He received an MA in Biblical Studies in 1972. He has been a Bible teacher for 45 years. See the website for more info on his books, papers, etc.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print