The Great Unifier
by Ken Barnes

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
For brethren to dwell together in unity! (Psalms 133:1 NKJV)

Unity seems to be the most sought after entity in many churches and Christian ministries, but in reality seems to be the least found. I believe humility lived out in our lives may go along way in solving this dilemma.
Once I led a discipleship course in my church, where we talked about things like, openness, honesty, and humility. In the midst of this course, on my job, I told my supervisor a half-truth. A half-truth is a whole lie. I repented and made it right with God. Also, with egg on my face, I told my supervisor that I had lied to her.
Not really the type of thing you would like to write home to Mom about, but I felt like I should share it with my class. I didn't have to share it, as they were not a party to my dishonesty, but I thought it might be a teachable moment. Not one person got up and left the class when I told them. No one stayed home the next week from the class because I had revealed my clay feet. As a matter of fact, they seemed to like me better after I told them. Do you know why? Humility always fosters unity. When we are open and honest about are flaws, it speaks to the fact that no matter what our station in life, we are all in this thing together. We are all sinners in need of grace. In Christ there are no big or little people. The ground is all level at foot of the cross.
The next time you are tempted to hide something of which you are not proud, at the right time and with the right people, share it. You be surprised how good and pleasant it is when you walk in humility.

I worked for seventeen years as a missionary with Youth With A Mission.  My missionary work has taken me to Mexico, Canada, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, Spain, and Ukraine.  I hold a Masters of Education in curriculum and instruction from Virginia Commonwealth University.  [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print